Chapter 17 (Year Two)

My hand lazily drifted through the cool water. Muggles actually came up with some pretty amazing things without magic, like Lily's swimming pool! Forget my nasty pond, I wanted to spend my whole summer in this clean, oversize bathtub!

Lily finally invited me over to her house just before the last week of summer. Of course, she'd been to my house a few times and we'd met up in Diagon Alley, but I was finally getting a taste of the real Muggle life by spending the day with her at her house.

Lying there on that strange Muggle inflatable in the pool with the hot August sun on my face was peaceful. Lily floated next to me in a thing that looked kind of like a giant donut. When I arrived at the Evans household that morning, I traveled by Floo powder, scaring her older sister Petunia out of the living room. I didn't think Petunia likes me very much... And it wasn't only because of my terrible first impression.

From her secluded spot on the pool deck, Petunia watched me with a look of distaste from under a large yellow umbrella. Lily drifted near me and splashed me with the cool water, surprising me and sending me tumbling into the water.

"Hey!" I protested after resurfacing and spitting the chlorinated water out of my mouth.

"Sorry!" Lily choked out through bouts of laughter. She still hadn't gone completely in the water. Those soft, red curls were still in perfect shape and completely dry. Striking fast, I flipped her over off the donut thing and watched her fall in.

"Hey!" Lily laughed after poking her head above do the water.

"Sorry!" I mimicked and pulled myself up out of the water so only my legs were dangling in the water. Lily pulled herself up out of the water wand joined me on the deck.

"So," Lily began. "Have you talked to Sirius lately?"

Scoffing, I shook my head. For the most part, the only people I kept in contact with from Hogwarts were Remus and Lily. But from Remus' letters, I had a good idea what Sirius was up to. Remus, James, Sirius, and Peter were often together over the summer, causing havoc and practicing Quidditch, hoping to make the Gryffindor team. I wrote to Sirius a few times, and he wrote back, but the letters stopped coming. After three letters with no response, I gave up.

"I dunno Lil..." I joked. "Have you talked to James lately."

Anger flashed those emerald eyes for a moment. With a passion, Lily hated James. The hatred began because James was always with Sirius, bullying her best friend Snape. Then, the hatred persisted because James continued to be an arrogant boy, desperate for Lily's affections. Honestly, I didn't care that James and Sirius bullied the Slytherins. In fact, I encouraged it.

"I would never talk to that toe rag even if you paid me!" Lily hissed and splashed me with water.

"Whatever you say Lils..." I laughed and stood up, grabbing a towel as I walked through the gate. Her house loomed over me, an inviting and homely place. I loved it here!

"Are you leaving?" Lily asked, her expression confused.

"Lily, can I stay for the rest of the week?" I asked quietly before entering her house. Petunia, who was still sitting alone in the shade, had a horrified look on her face, as if me staying was the worst thing in the world.

"My parents won't mind!" Lily grinned. "They love you! How will your mum be?"

"My mum won't mind!" I said quickly. "I'll have her send my Hogwarts stuff later."

Honestly, the reason why I didn't want to go home was Brittany was coming over. As it turned out, Felix was serious about his girlfriend, and she was staying for the final week of the summer holidays. It wasn't that I didn't like Brittany, in fact, she was a rather likable person. She was just so... Talkative. All she wanted to talk about was Felix this, Felix that... It all made me want to puke.