Chapter 90

April 6, 1979

"I wonder how he died," Sirius stated. He fixed his tie in the mirror. "Do you think he croaked due to my mother's incessant nagging and screaming? She must've called him a useless bastard one too many times."

I stepped behind Sirius and wrapped my arms around him. I couldn't see his expression in the mirror as I buried my head in his shoulder, but I knew he was smiling.

"Are you sure you want to go?" I asked for what felt like the hundredth time. "Your own mother didn't even tell you, I don't think they wanted you there."

"I'm paying my respects," Sirius insisted. "He may not have been the best parent, but he is my father. Besides, I always liked him more than Mum anyways. If going to the funeral pisses her off, I'll stay the whole day."

Orion Black, Sirius' father, died of natural causes. Regulus was the one who told Sirius about it in a letter.

"You realize it's a private home viewing," I chuckled. "Family and close friends only."

"I'm his son," Sirius snorted. "Make sure you wear your best jewelry. We need to make her think we're the wealthiest in all of Europe."

I was already wearing a long black dress and the diamond necklace Sirius gave me for Christmas our seventh year. He looked elegant in his expensive dress robes. Even Walburga would probably be impressed by the fine quality of our clothes. We looked like a couple heading to a ball with the queen, not the funeral of a pure-blood wizard.

A moment later, we Apparated in the street outside the imposing 12 Grimmauld Place. I was surprised we could still see the building after Sirius was disowned. The tall building looked just as dark and gloomy as it did during my fifth year. Sirius offered his arm and I took it as he strode up the steps. Without even a knock, Sirius opened the door to his childhood home.

As soon as we stepped inside, I locked eyes with none other than Walburga Black. She looked stunned at the two unannounced guests in her house and not at all pleased.

When I saw her, I stood a little straighter and tipped my nose up. Walburga seemed to take her husband's death as an opportunity to play host and hold a party at her house. The house did not feel like a place of mourning. Walburga looked Sirius up and down with a sour frown like she just drank something foul. The wine glass in her tight grip looked about ready to shatter.

"Sirius Black?" a tall woman in black dress robes whispered to a short woman in a black dress. The name seemed to echo through the halls. A few more mourners poked their head in the room to see what the whispers were about.

Sirius seemed unfazed by the attention. Even the portrait of Walburga on the wall looked horrified and ready to scream and yell, but not a sound came out. The living Walburga approached Sirius and curtly embraced him only so she could whisper in his ear.

"I thought I told you to never return," Walburga hissed. Her face was red with embarrassment and anger as she tried to control her temper in front of guests.

She didn't dare throw her son out in front of her family and elite friends. Two more women regarded Sirius, their eyes bugging out of their heads, and started to whisper. While his mother inspected his appearance, Sirius snapped his fingers and an old, grouchy looking house-elf appeared. Sirius asked the elf to retrieve two glasses of wine and the elf reluctantly served him.

"I never thought I would return," Sirius shrugged. "But how could I stay away? If there was one thing you ever did correctly, it was pick the best bottles of wine."

Sirius swirled one glass of red wine the house-elf brought and handed the other to me. He raised the glass towards Walburga, as if toasting to her, before taking a long sip to drain the glass in one drink.