Chapter 47

The crisp fall air chilled my cheeks and nose, but I frowned through the nice weather. I knew that the first quidditch practice would not be enjoyable at all considering I actually had to acknowledge Robert as a human being. He was already flying loops around the quidditch pitch, chasing after Brenda, who, much to my dismay, hadn't been eaten by a dragon over the summer.

"I know what you're thinking." James chuckled as I glared at the couple. "But we can't just kick both of them off the team."

"I wouldn't expect you to want to." I grumbled and swung my beater's bat by my side. "Besides, we need our captain, even if he is the world's biggest git."

"Well I'm taking offense to that."

I looked at James after tearing my eyes away from Robert and tried to process what he just said. James just innocently stared back at me, a smirk pulling at his mouth and his hazel eyes glinting.

"You're... The captain?"

"Yep."

"How...?"

"Robert stepped down as long as he and Brenda still had a spot on the team- that's what he was offering on the train when you walked out."

With my mouth hanging open and no words coming out, I stared at James in disbelief. Quidditch was Robert's life, but James was standing in front of me with the box of quidditch balls that only captains had access to tucked under his arm.

"So you can make Robert run laps around the pitch!" I blurted. "And make Brenda be used for target practice for the beaters!"

"Well... After what they did to you... I suppose I can add a couple extra laps..."

"Fine, just don't let this new power get to your head, captain!"

James laughed after me as I kicked off the ground and flew a happy little lap, accidentally (not really) cutting in between Robert and Brenda, nearly knocking Brenda off her broom. For the rest of our first practice, I just 'practiced' with Sirius. We were supposed to be watching the overly eager Gryffindors who wanted to try out for our only open position of seeker, but Sirius and I just joked around and occasionally hit a bludger near a prospect seeker to make it seem like we were helping. James would shake his head disapprovingly when he saw us, but never said anything because he knew I wasn't scared to hit a bludger right at his face if he told us off.

"So who do we chose as the next seeker?" James asked while running a hand through his jet black hair. He knew we didn't really know a single person trying out.

"Maximus Brankovich." I blurted. It was the only name of all the seekers I could remember, even though I had no idea how well this Maximus kid played. Sirius just nodded along with me.

"Yes, Malcolm is probably the best of the whole lot from what I've seen." Sirius agreed.

"It's Maximus..." James sighed and rolled his eyes. He looked over at a nimble, brown haired third year. He did have the build for a perfect seeker. "And although you two were too busy flirting to watch him, the rest of the team also agreed he should be seeker."

"We were not flirting!" Sirius and I retorted in unison as heat flushed my face. One look at Sirius' own slightly pink cheeks said he was embarrassed too.