Chapter 82

July 7th, 1978 // Sirius P.O.V.

"So, tonight is my last night to convince you to stay a bachelor?" James realized, calling over the roar of my motorcycle. I parked and turned the bike off in one of the parking spots outside the bar.

"I suppose so," I chuckled, flipping my hair out of my face. Remus and Peter waved from behind James, already leaning against the brick wall of the Muggle bar. We decided a location outside of the wizarding world would draw less attention to four Order members the night before a very important meeting.

"Good luck getting him to do that," Remus called. "I think Lexi would kill him if he tried to back out."

"I wouldn't even dream of trying," I agreed. True, I was nervous about getting married, but it was a happy nervous, an event I'd been looking forward to from the first time I realized I fell in love with my best friend.

"So where is the bride tonight?" Peter asked and held the door to the bar open for us.

"She's spending a night in with Lily and Marlene," James answered for me. "They had some last-minute planning to do."

"A girls' night," Remus nodded. He wrinkled his nose at the smell of cigarettes that washed over us as we stepped inside the establishment. "I'm sure they'll be having just as much fun as we will be."

"No, we'll have a better night," I insisted and slung an arm around Peter's shoulders as we approached the bar stools. He was the perfect short height to be a comfortable armrest for me. "Especially because we will find Peter a girl tonight."

"No, I don't really think-" Peter squeaked.

"Come on Pete!" James laughed. "I'm sure we can find you a date for the wedding tonight! You have three of the best wingmen right here with you!"

Begrudgingly, Peter agreed to let us try as we sat at the bar. I wondered if we would have to pay off a woman to go out with him. Remus pointed at a group of girls in the corner and started chatting to Peter about them as James whistled to the barmaid.

"My best mate here is getting married tomorrow!" James announced to the young woman. He roughly clapped me on the back and I flashed her a smile. "All drinks are on me!"

"You're getting married?" the woman questioned, cocking an eyebrow. She looked to be in her mid-twenties and I watched as she looked me over, possibly checking me out. I was used to unfamiliar females looking at me like that. Must've been the Black genetics. "How old are you?"

"Eighteen," I responded. The Muggle alcoholic beverages slid across the wood counter in front of us. I wondered if I played my cards right if I could get her to give us a free round of drinks. My unavailability sometimes made women try a little harder to impress me. She continued to look me over and snorted at me.

"Aren't you a little young to get married? Seems like a shotgun wedding. Is it because she's pregnant?"

Stunned, I just stared at the woman. Anger welled up in my chest at her accusations. Peter and Remus sunk into their seats, knowing the woman just unknowingly said the wrong thing. As soon as they heard what was going on, the hunt to find Peter a girl was abandoned.

"No," I spat. "I'll have you know, I've been waiting on this girl since I was eleven. I'm marrying her because I know she's the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with."

She had firm brown eyes and a persistent look. Slowly, she leaned over the counter, talking in a low voice to James. My hands started to hurt, and I realized I was clenching my fists tightly.

"You're his best friend?" she nodded at James. "I don't believe it. Tell me, did pretty boy here accidentally knock up his girlfriend and now she's marrying him just because of that?"