Chapter 26

"Now if I were McGonagall, where would I hide notes on Animagi?" I muttered and began rifling through one of Professor McGonagall's drawers. James and Sirius searched the cabinet behind me. Hopefully, McGonagall would be gone finding out who set off the dung bombs in the hall long enough for us to steal- I mean borrow- some notes.

"I found something!" Sirius exclaimed and held up an old book and stack of papers.

"Nice Padfoot! Now let's go!" James said quickly and threw the cloak over Sirius' head. Suddenly, the click of heels could be heard clapping on the cobbled floor as Professor McGonagall entered her office.

"Uh, hi Professor?" I said as James stared at her like a deer in the headlights. Ha, deer... How ironic...

"Ms. Stryker! Mr. Potter! What are you doing in my office at these odd hours of the night?!" She exclaimed, looking extremely baffled. Then realization hit her. "You were the ones who set off the dung bombs! Take a seat Ms. Stryker, Mr. Potter."

Reluctantly, we each took a seat in front of her desk. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the door open and shut- Sirius had escaped! At least McGonagall couldn't get us for stealing too... As McGonagall started to sit in her large office chair, I saw James wince before-

Boom!

A cloud of smoke enveloped Professor McGonagall as the explosion went off and she shrieked. Angrily, I turned to James, who was staring at his hands while stifling a laugh. He was just digging our hole even deeper...

"So that's why you set off the dung bombs!" Professor McGonagall coughed through the explosion of smoke and stuffing from her chair. She pulled a blackened and shriveled quill from underneath her- an exploding quill. "Just so you could do this to me? Do you think this is funny?"

"Yes!" I said hurriedly before realizing what I agreed to. "I mean, no, this isn't funny! But yes, that's why we set off the dung bombs."

James gave me a look like 'what the bloody hell are you doing? You're going to get us in more trouble!'. Well, I figured 'trying to prank our Transfiguration teacher' would call for lesser punishment than 'we were trying to steal notes on Animagi'.

"I'm very disappointed in you two," Professor McGonagall fumed.

"I'm so sorry professor! It won't happen again!" I assured, although I knew it was a lie. We were the troublemakers of her House and everyone was starting to realize that.

"Won't happen again? I find that hard to believe Ms. Stryker... Trouble always seems to find you..." Professor McGonagall sighed and pulled out two files. Her hand reached for a quill on her desk-

Boom!

That quill exploded too, making me facepalm and James sink lower into his seat. Angrily, Professor McGonagall whipped out her wand and cleared the mess of soot and burning paper off her desk.

"Now, I was going to give you each one week of detentions," she announced angrily and poked at a quill with her wand before deeming it safe. "But now, you each have two months of detentions and Mr. Potter, you are suspended from the Quidditch team!"

"But Professor!" James protested and my heart sunk in my chest. Gryffindor had a real shot at winning this year... But probably not without James! "The final match against Ravenclaw is in two months!"

"Maybe you should have thought about that before you befouled my office!" Professor McGonagall spat. It would kill her to suspend our star Chaser... She must be really mad... "Furthermore, I will take fifty points from Gryffindor for everything I find in my office that explodes!"