Chapter 46

Adrenaline really messes with you. When I was forced against the wall, I knew I was caught and risking detention or worse. My exhaustion and soreness from the long night faded away in an instant, replaced by fear. Then, the fear turned into bubbling anger when my eyes finally adjusted to the bright light and I realized who caught me.

"Well, well, well... If it isn't Stryker." Sterling Spies remarked with an evil chuckle.

My least favorite Slytherin's blonde, nearly white hair looked even whiter than it did the year before and her eyes were an even lighter blue, like she spent her whole summer hiding away in a cave away from sunlight. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if that was what she did. But the most prominent difference about her was a gleaming, silver prefect's badge front and center on her robe.

"Oh how I love being a prefect!" Spies laughed falsely, digging her wand deeper into my throat. "I'm going to make your life hell this year! And there's nothing you can do about it!"

"Get your hands off of me!" I growled defiantly and started to push her away. Spies just shoved me against the wall with another maniacal laugh that rang down the corridor.

"What were you doing out so early anyways? Spend the night out in the forbidden forest with your little boyfriend?"

Her words turned my blood to ice and I could feel my face pale. It was always only a matter of time before someone started to assume something was up with Remus... If the Slytherins were starting to theorize and gossip, it would be only a few days before the entire school knew Remus' secret.

"I don't have a boyfriend... And if I did, why would I be in the forest at night with him?" I questioned in an unconvincingly cool way. Spies loved the nervous reaction she was drawing from me and flattened me against the wall completely by pressing on my right shoulder.

The wince and quiet groan from pain did not go unnoticed by Spies. She turned the light on my shoulder and I hurriedly pulled my loose sweater back over the exposed scratches, but not before I knew she could clearly tell what the wound was from.

"How'd you get the scratches Stryker?" Spies mocked. "Funny... You know what Professor Norris said yesterday in our first defense against the dark arts class? Some things about monsters... More specifically half-breeds like... Oh, I don't know... Werewolves. And how they can injure themselves..."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I played dumb, praying the next words out of her mouth wouldn't be questions about Remus. Somewhere to the left of me, I heard a soft swish of robes, and I knew the boys were hiding under the invisibility cloak, holding on to every word.

"There are rumors, you know." She sucked in a breath while grinning evilly. Wand-light bounced off her face, making her look ghastly and her bright, white teeth resembled those of a vampire. "About someone at Hogwarts... Someone with a special... Condition that happens around the full moon. I didn't peg it to be you."

The breath I had been holding suddenly let out all at once and I couldn't stop myself from laughing. She honestly thought I was the werewolf?! Spies' smug look changed to confusion as I continued to holler, doubled over in laughter.

"You- you think I'm a werewolf?!" I choked out, clutching my side that was in stitches from laughing so hard. Suddenly, a clear idea formed in my head and I found my way out of a detention. "Yeah, you got me! Oh how I thought I could hide it from you for all these years!"