Chapter 74

"Prongs, how was your visit with Lily's family?" Sirius asked. He was overjoyed to see his best friend again after the break. I almost thought Sirius was going to kiss him as soon as he saw James and Lily arrive at the entrance of Hogwarts castle. We all waited nearly an hour in the entryway for them to arrive at the school because Sirius didn't think it would be right for the Marauders to unpack without one of its members.

"Lily's parents loved me," James boasted. "And did you know, they own this item called a television which is a box of light that shows the Muggle news and things called movies! And I met Petunia, and might I say, my Lily got the good looks of the family! And then there was Petunia's fiancé. Vernon was a real piece of-"

"Don't," Lily warned. She stared James down with fierce green eyes.

"Lily, darling, I just wanted to tell them about the-"

"James."

"It was not my fault! He was asking for it!"

"James!"

"Lily," I spoke. "Whatever did your daft, immature boyfriend do?"

"You forgot handsome!" James added.

"Well, we can clearly never add humble to the list of adjectives to describe James Potter," Lily seethed. "What he did was, while on a very nice dinner date with Petunia and Vernon, James started talking very boastfully about his family's wealth!"

"You did not," I gasped. James just smirked and tried to hide his proud expression from Lily. Her face was starting to turn as red as her hair.

"What?" James shrugged. "He started going on about some sort of car he drove. I thought the new Nimbus broom I got for Christmas was better. What person wants a kind of transportation that can't fly?"

"He's got a point," Sirius agreed. "You should've rubbed the motorcycle we built together in his face."

"Sirius!" I swatted his arm. "Don't encourage him!"

"He was insulting me!" James exasperatedly defended. Lily's angry expression started to look gloomy and James stopped talking to hug her. "Lils, I'm sorry, again, I told you I'll apologize, and I will..."

I pulled Sirius away from their moment as James comforted Lily. Remus and Peter followed our lead to leave the pair alone.

"He's totally controlled by her," Sirius chuckled in a quiet voice. "She's got him wrapped around her finger."

"Really? And you're not?" Peter laughed. "You do everything your girlfriend asks you to without hesitation!"

"What do you mean?" Sirius inquired. "My girlfriend does not tell me what to do. I am a free man! I tell her what to do!"

"Sirius," I stated in a cold tone.

"Yes dear?!" Sirius bleated. At the sound of my demanding tone, his eyes widened, and he dropped the conversation.

"Free man," Remus scoffed. "Because if I remember correctly, Lexi was the girl who completely broke Sirius Black from his old playboy self. Not that I'm complaining! I like this new Sirius more."

"That's not true!" Sirius whined. "I like to do things that she asks me to! Because if I do them, then I get lai-"

"Sirius!" I smirked and snapped my fingers. "I would like some help carrying my things to the tower!"

The boys laughed as Sirius obediently levitated my bags. He muttered under his breath about how he was a 'free man.'

"Good boy!" I praised and ruffled his long hair.