Chapter 56 (Year Six)

The cake looked delicious, the flowers in the bouquets were the right color, her dress looked beautiful on her, and everything was perfect. But my mother and Brittany's mother were both running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The bride might usually be the high strung perfectionist at most weddings, but Brittany seemed calmer than I did.

"I know where they're keeping the chocolate covered strawberries." Brittany whispered in my ear. Marlene and I immediately stopped watching mum and Mrs. McKinnon bicker over the musicians who were late to stare at Brittany, suddenly interested. She pressed a finger to her lips and we tiptoed out of the room and into the kitchen.

"Brit, careful, I don't want you to drop any on your dress!" Marlene warned as Brittany pulled a large tray of mouthwatering deserts off the top of the cupboard. Brittany plucked a single chocolate covered strawberry out of the center of the tray and ate it slowly, careful not to smear her perfect red lipstick.

She was breathtaking. Her white dress was nothing too fancy, but she made it look like it cost one million galleons. Her short, blonde hair was up in a glittering tiara. Brittany simply radiated beauty, love, and happiness. She definitely outdid Marlene and me in our simple, red, short, bridesmaid dresses. I knew my brother was one lucky guy.

"Want one?" Brittany asked while popping another strawberry in her mouth. Marlene caved in on trying to keep her sister's pristine dress clean and took a strawberry. The three of us probably would've devoured the entire tray of sweets if out mothers hadn't walked in while I was stuffing a fifth eclair in my mouth.

"Out! Out!" Mrs. McKinnon scolded, swatting at Marlene with her bouquet of roses. "I thought I would have to keep Felix and his groomsmen out, not you three!"

Laughing, we left the mothers in the kitchen and into the fancy golden hall. A petite house elf wearing a purple cotton pillowcase was kneeling in the center of the guided hall, scrubbing away at the glittering floors. When she saw us approach, she stood up hastily, nearly spilling her bucket of water in the process.

"I'll get out of your way miss!" The house elf squeaked and sloshed soapy water all over the hall as she scurried away.

"No, Dizzy, it's okay, we're just passing through!" Marlene calmly said and skirted around the puddle. "The hall looks great!"

"Thank you, miss. You look beautiful." Dizzy whispered, bashfully averting her large green eyes. "And so do yous two misses."

"Thanks Dizzy." I replied, joining Brittany and Marlene at the end of the hall to look out the window.

The McKinnons have the most beautiful garden I've seen- and house for that matter. Many pureblood families have extravagant mansions like the McKinnons, but none of them have as perfect of a yard. The wedding was taking place outside in their wonderful garden of roses and the reception would be inside their great dining room, which was so big and detailed that it rivaled the Great Hall at Hogwarts.

"Look at all the people here already." Marlene gushed as nearly two hundred guests sat in the white seats on the lawn.

"Well, I am only getting married in fifteen minutes." Brittany muttered sarcastically. With a sigh, she set her perfectly manicured fingers on the windowpane. "Oh look, there's Felix. Doesn't he look handsome?"

I could've even pick out one person in the hundreds moving around below us, they all looked like ants in pastel colors. But Brittany somehow picked out her fiancé, who was greeting people at the top of the aisle. Even just by distantly looking at him, Brittany's brown eyes shown with love.

"Didn't you invite a date?" Brittany asked me.

"Yes, my friend Remus." I nodded, wondering if my best friend was sitting somewhere in the crowd. At his name, Marlene blushed a bit and I poked her in the side. "Don't worry Mar, he may be my date, but you can have a dance with him."