Chapter 93

When the realization that we would soon be parents sunk in, I saw a new side of Sirius. The reckless, cocky man I grew up with and married seemed to change overnight. Although we had another seven months to go, Sirius started babyproofing the house the day after his birthday.

All our magical items were locked away or up high where a child could not reach them. He put extra enchantments on the house and I was certain he put some sort of enchantment on his motorcycle as well. The room Sirius once used as an office (a man cave) was cleared out, and he wanted to start turning it into a nursery right away.

We were most excited to tell our friends- Most important to us both, James and Lily needed to know.

My mother already knew (she was who saw me at St. Mungo's), and she was so excited about her new grandchild. Sirius was practically shaking with eagerness to tell James, so Lily and James were invited over the following afternoon- after Sirius planned a unique way to spill the news.

Lily was smart. When she showed up to our house, she noticed the extreme cleaning Sirius had done already and remembered my exit at Sirius' party. We exchanged a knowing glance, but she didn't say anything as we sat around the table, pouring tea.

James started talking about his horrible hangover after Sirius' party, and how Lily had to brew him a potion to cure his headache. He asked for a Firewhisky (hair of the dog, he called it, much to Sirius' amusement). Once again, James tried to get everyone to take a drink with him, and I again declined, making Lily raise her eyebrows. The brightest witch of our age knew exactly why we invited them over.

Suddenly, an owl was rapping on the window. I hid the smile on my face as I flicked my wand at the window to open it. This was all a part of Sirius' plan. Not only did one large barn owl enter the room, but five, all struggling to carry a large box that barely fit through the window. The box fell to the ground with a loud, metallic clamor, immediately piquing James' interest. The curious man hopped up to help Sirius open the box.

Once the box was opened, a metal object clunked to the ground, nearly crushing James' toe. With a gasp, and a smile that reminded me of a child on Christmas day, James realized what the chunky metal item was.

"A sidecar?!" James exclaimed. "How did you know I wanted one of these to ride in for the motorcycle!"

James helped Sirius tear the package open, muttering about how the two of them would be riding in style with the new sidecar. Excitation switched to confusion when the box was opened, and the sidecar was merely the size of a Muggle car seat.

"Padfoot, I know I lost weight, thank you for noticing, but this is much too small for me to ride in!" James laughed. Lily rolled her eyes at her husband and reached over to grab my hand.

"Well, it's not too small for a kid," Sirius hinted. "A dashingly handsome Sirius junior, perhaps."

There was a pause in their conversation. Lily's hand squeezed mine and James locked eyes with me.

"Wait, you're pregnant?" James yelped. Immediately, he jumped up and clapped Sirius on the back. "Pads, you dog! You know what causes pregnancy, don't you?"

Sirius and James howled with laughter and Lily couldn't contain her smile after rolling her eyes at our boys.

"Congratulations, this is exactly the news we all needed!" Lily gushed. She started fawning over me, asking questions about how I was feeling and when I was due.

James and Sirius took their slightly raunchy conversation about what causes babies to the garage to tinker with the motorcycle. With a sigh, Lily kicked back in her chair, stirring her tea with her wand.