Chapter 92

November 3, 1979

Three Muggle pregnancy tests and one emergency trip to St. Mungo's for confirmation could not deny it.

I was pregnant.

At first, I had no idea how to feel. It didn't seem real. Sirius and I hadn't planned it, but we knew we wanted children. It turned out that I was two months pregnant, which explained a lot about how I'd been feeling and my actions. I was honestly terrified. The thought of having a baby while I was in the Order, the world was falling apart, and my husband seemed depressed after the loss of his brother brought tears to my eyes (although, that could've been the hormones too).

I found out on the morning of Sirius' 20th birthday. We were throwing him a small party with close friends to celebrate, and I decided the news about our baby would be the perfect gift for him. Although it wasn't planned, I was already filled with joy (despite my worries), and I hoped my husband would be ecstatic about it too.

The birthday party didn't seem like the best idea, initially. All the invitees were in the Order, and Sirius and Remus were still on very bad terms. In fact, Sirius didn't want Remus to step foot in our house again, but James, Lily, and Peter knew nothing of their argument and Sirius' accusations about the spy, and no one wanted to let on that their Hogwarts brotherhood was dying. James would still invite us all over, but things were tense between Sirius and Remus. My husband enjoyed watching Remus' every move for something he could be thrown in Azkaban for.

When Sirius returned from working that afternoon, his arms brimming with bottles of alcohol for the party, I could hardly contain myself about the news, but I kept the secret. He knew something was up by the way I was bouncing around the house cheerily, but he did not ask questions. We set up the house for the party together and I only gave Sirius the explanation of 'I'm really excited about your birthday present' to explain my mood.

All the Marauders and the Weasleys attended the party. Alastor Moody even stopped by for a few minutes before being whisked away on an important call. Dumbledore sent a card that exploded into a firecracker, probably to remind Sirius of the havoc he caused at Hogwarts. I was buzzing around happily all night, waiting for the right opportunity to give my news to my husband and our friends. The night was going perfectly, made even better when we received a Patronus message from Frank and Alice Longbottom: their mission for the night was more than successful, and the couple thwarted Voldemort once again!

"Here's to Frank and Alice!" James announced after the Patronus disappeared, raising his bottle of fire whiskey. "Here's to more triumphs and safe returns! And to more of Voldemort's screw ups!"

James was already drunk, and slurring his words, but his message was perfect. We all held back laughs at his glasses askew on his face and his unruly hair looked even messier than usual.

"Frank and Alice!" We all chorused, some people raising glasses. We were all proud and relieved about Frank and Alice, but one look at Sirius, Lily, and James and I knew- they all secretly wanted to be out there helping as well, the spotlight on them.

"And happy birthday to Padfoot!" Remus added meekly from across the room. Everyone cheered again, and Sirius and Remus exchanged an awkward glance before Sirius smirked. With a sigh of relief, I smiled at Remus. At least it seemed like Remus and Sirius decided to put aside their differences for the night.

I took a seat on Sirius' lap, his arms lovingly wrapping around my waist. His fingers landed on the bare skin of my stomach where my shirt was barely lifting. Warmth filled my body, and I considered spilling the news in front of my friends.

The party and night were going perfectly- which usually meant something was bound to go wrong. However, for a moment, as everyone drank, ate, conversed, and I thought about my future family, everything was as perfect as it could be for a room of witches and wizards.