Chapter 61

Professor Belby's hand slapped on the edge of my table and I jolted awake. Sirius, who was sitting next to me, woke up too, flipping our books and notes onto the floor as his arms flailed around. I yawned and waved my wand to clean up our books while looking at the defense against the dark arts teacher sheepishly. Sirius and I anxiously watched as Professor Belby turned away and approached Remus' table- where Remus was peacefully asleep and snoring softly. Much to my surprise, Professor Belby just gently shook Remus' shoulder and his head slowly rose off the table.

"Teacher's pet." Sirius snorted. He sorted his notes out on the table and rested his chin on his hand. Very slowly, Sirius' eyes were beginning to close again and I felt myself growing tireder as class droned on. Remus actually fell asleep again only seconds after Belby woke him up, but Belby didn't care. Remus was his favorite student and it wasn't like he needed to take notes on werewolves anyways. Very slowly, my eyelids started to feel heavy again from staying up all night in the shrieking shack.

"Mister Black! Miss Stryker! Ten points from Gryffindor and detention after class!" Professor Belby snapped and my eyes popped open again. Sirius wildly shook his head to wake up and grabbed my knee from beneath the table. I bit my tongue to stop myself from laughing. A detention together was something I looked forward to because it was basically alone time. Plus, we had quidditch practice that afternoon right after class and I was getting sick of James bossing me around.

"You're running double laps tomorrow at practice." James muttered with a scowl when class finally ended. I stuck my tongue out at the obsessive quidditch captain and joined Sirius at the front of the classroom for our detention assignment. Remus sat on a chair next to Professor Belby's desk like he usually did after class for his studying session or whatever it was they did together after class every day. According to Remus, he was just going for extra help, but if I'd learned anything from my own time spent in secret with a defense against the dark arts teacher, there was no way they spent the entire hour chatting about the Unforgivable Curses.

"You two can sort all of those books back in that cupboard." Professor Belby instructed. I tried not to groan out loud when I noticed the cluttered cabinet of books in the back of the room. It was more disorganized than Professor Slughorn's potion stores- and that was saying something.

"Are you sure you don't want us to do something else? Maybe something that will give you two more privacy for your studying session? We can go get rid of those two boggarts in Filch's office for you? I know he's been complaining about them..." Sirius asked hopefully. I had to stifle a laugh. The reason those boggarts were in Filch's office in the first place was because Sirius, James, and I put them there. There was no way Sirius wanted to get rid of his amazing prank on the caretaker, he just wanted to get us alone. Remus seemed to pick up on this and glared at Sirius.

"No, Mr. Black." Professor Belby said firmly. The bright, forced smile on Sirius' face turned into a scowl. "I've heard enough from Professor Sprout about what happens when you two are left alone together to know you need to stay within my sight."

My face started to feel hot and Sirius chuckled. I slammed my foot on his to get him to stop laughing. It was rather funny when Professor Sprout walked in on us doing more than just picking beetles off the plants in Greenhouse One, but I really didn't want him to earn us another detention with grumpy Professor Belby.

After flashing a forced, partially ashamed, smile at Professor Belby, I dragged Sirius to the back of the room to begin our detention. The defense against the dark arts classroom was soon filled with an herbal smell as we began to work. I peeked over my shoulder to see Belby and Remus standing over a black cauldron, brewing some kind of potion. The smell was vaguely familiar, like the smell of a pungent plant in the greenhouses. While we sorted the books, I couldn't help but notice Remus was starting to look rather distraught.