Chapter One

CH.1

"Rose, be careful." The little house elf squeaks from her bed. "Don't burn yourself."

"Paddy." I laugh lightly. "I'm nearly fifteen. I can handle making myself lunch." I shake my head, going down the stairs to the kitchen. Paddy was too ill to care for me at the moment, she is so old.

I take a glance in the mirror in the hall, pulling my tangled red hair into a ponytail. My faint scar showing. I turn from side to side, making faces at myself before going into the kitchen to feed myself.

The window behind the sink was open, letting the warm July air breeze in. It was a beautiful day. Maybe, if I only went outside for a few minutes, Paddy wouldn't notice. I'm almost fifteen, I can handle going outside alone.

I take one fleeting glance at the staircase, where Paddy was in a room just at the top. I quickly flee the front door, stepping into the sunshine. I felt the warmth sinking into my skin. And the hot cement under my bare feet.

"Morning, Miss." A man nodded at me as he passed the house.

"And to you." I answered politely, smiling widely. This being the first interaction I've ever had with another being besides Paddy. The man smiled back, then continued walking past.

I continued walking barefoot down the lane. Taking in all of my surroundings. The sky, the buildings, the people. Everything is so beautiful. I never would have known if I stayed in the house forever, I wish I had left soo-

"Oh, sorry!" A man bumped into me as I wasn't paying attention to what was ahead of me. He steadied my arms to keep me from falling. "I'm sorry, my fault, I..." He trailed off.

Feeling uneasy at where he was looking, I staggered backwards. Pulling my hair down to cover my forehead, averting my eyes. "Sorry, sir.." I squeak. "I...I should go.." I turn, sprinting back towards the house. I ran in, shutting the door quietly behind me, then going back to the kitchen.

I lightly touched my scar, frowning to myself. I pulled my hair back up, and proceeded to make myself and Paddy lunch. Once finished, I carry a tray upstairs to Paddy, and eat with her.

"Alright, Rose." She says with a smile. "Should we practice?"

I nod, retrieving my wand from the bedside table. I was underage, but the ministry didn't know about me. Paddy taught me, also technically illegal, but it was the best we could do.

"Let's see your defense." The elf squeaks. I was great at Defense against the Dark Arts. I smile in response.

"Wanna see something?" I ask, my face breaking into a wide and uncontrollable smile. Paddy nods. "Expecto Patronum!" I recite. A silver misty doe springs from my wand, and prances around the room, and out the window before dissolving into mist.

"It's beautiful." She says with a smile. "Now, what about knowledge? Have you read your books?"

"Of course I have." I sigh. I've read all of my books at least a hundred times.

We went through my studies. A few charms, transfigurations, a bit of history. But Paddy tired quickly, and I soon left the room to allow her to rest.

I walked quietly across the hall to my room. A small white room, with black furniture. Knowing Paddy was asleep, I found it safe to lift my mattress, retrieving the old tatty piece of parchment.

She wouldn't care that I had it. But I wanted to keep it all to myself. It was my special bit of hope. It was left with me as a baby.

Little Sirina,
My sweet, sweet child. You do not know me now, but I do hope you will in the future. I want you to stay here, with Paddy, and believe that nothing will happen to you.
You were brought to me by Sirius, your godfather, and he cared deeply for you. He is now in Azkaban, and you will never know him. Please know, you are here for your safety. We all have your best interest at heart. Paddy knows what to do.
Until we meet again,
The Secret Keeper