Chapter Thirty-Five

CH.35

"Evans."   Snape glares down at me as he opens the door.

"So sorry Professor, it's just that your classroom was locked and--" 

"Did you check my office?"

"Well, yes.  But... I didn't think you'd appreciate me going through your store without permission." I widen my eyes just a smidge, to increase my innocent look.

He sighs, and opens his door further- motioning for me to come in.   As I walked past him, I heard him mumble under his breath "never stopped your friends.."    I chose to ignore him.   I probably didn't want to know anyway.

He was still in his bed robe, his hair a mess, and very unawake seeming.   "I'm sorry if I woke you, Professor.."

"Oh, no worries."   He sighs, "Just wait here a moment.   I'll be just out."   He left me in the living room of his Living Quarters, and disappeared into another room.

Feeling too awkward to sit, I instead walked around the rooms perimeter.   He had news clippings and photos on his walls of different events and people.   He had a small vase of nearly dead flowers on a side table, they had no water.   

"Aguamente," I whispered, and filled the glass vase halfway with water.   Smiling to myself, I adjusted the flowers in the vase.   Behind them was a photo of two teenagers, both smiling and hugging eachother.   One was... well... me.   Me with long soft hair, pulled back away from her face- and no lightning scar.   Seeming worryless and allover happy.   With... Snape?

"What are you doing?"    Snape's voice was suddenly right behind me.

"I was.. Err," I turn to face him, the frame hiding behind me, "just watering your flowers.   They looked parched."

"That was me and my childhood friend."   He states, ignoring my story about the flowers.  He reached behind me and took the frame.   "Lily."

"She is very pretty..."   I felt a lump in my throat.

"She was, yes."   He hands the frame back to me, and sits on the sofa- putting his shoes on.

"This is... Harry's mum, yes?"   I was staring at the photo, unable to take my eyes off of her unwavering smile and bright eyes.

"Indeed."   He nods.

"Sir, if I may... why did your friendship end?"   I almost immediately regretted my question, but I also had to know.   I just had to.

"I made some very critical mistakes..."   He closed his eyes for a moment, "James didn't like me much, either."

"I'm sorry..."   I shook my head, "I shouldn't have asked."