Chapter Thirty-Four

CH.34
(Authors note at the end...)

"Rose!" Harry grabs my arm, swinging me around. "Why have you been acting so weird?"

"I haven't.. What are you talking about?" I shake my head, sitting beside him in transfiguration, just until Hermione came in to take her seat back.

"Sneaking around, talking with Malfoy, just...off..." He sighs.

"I have things I need to do, okay?" I snap, then sigh, leaning my forehead on his shoulder. "Too much is going on. I'm not used to it."

"You can talk to me..." He whispers. "Trust me."

"I don't even know what I can and can't say anymore..." I admit, looking up at him.

"Well... Where have you been going nearly every night?" He raises his eyebrows.

"I can't tell you." I say quietly, biting my lower lip. Where was I? In the Headmasters office, talking to Sirius on the mirror. Giving him, and the order, updates.

"What have you been talking to Malfoy about?"

"Uh, just... Nothing, really. He more talks, and I walk away." I shrug. "He's actually not that bad."

"No, you can't say that, I mean no--"

"Potter, Evans. Please separate." McGonagall walked past us, Hermione and Ron not far behind. We were sitting fairly close, but McGonagall just had to play along to the rules. Sighing, I moved over to my regular place, and Hermione sat down where I was previously.

Harry spent the majority of class trying to get my attention rather than doing his work. So, naturally, I ignored him.

And again for the next class, and the next.

"She's not a Deatheater." Someone hissed in my ear as we left Charms later in the day.

I looked up as I saw the blonde boy hurrying down the corridor. Glancing to see if anyone was watching, I trailed after him. "Malfoy!" I whisper yelled.

He stopped at the dead end of the corridor, spinning around to face me. "Umbridge."

"Is not a death eater, okay...?" I shake my head. "I mean, I doubt it. She has to be a dea--"

"She's not." He states. "I checked. She doesn't have the mark."

"The dark mark." I confirm. He nods. "So you're saying... What?"

"Well, she's in no affiliation with him." He sighs. "But she obviously holds her allegiance to him. Which could be even worse."

"How could it be worse?" I fold my arms, growing impatient.

"Many deatheaters turned out of fear, pressure, or the glamour of it." He explains, "at this point, they might only still be loyal because they have to be. She, on the other hand, is loyal all on her own. Without the pressure of him on her."

I didn't want to ask how he knew so much. I was 98% positive I already knew. But I didn't want the confirmation.

"Any way to get her out?" I sigh. "That didn't really help any... If she's not a Deatheater, then there's no proof she's in cahoots to him..." I groan, covering my face with my hands.

"I just... Wanted to help...at least a little."

"Yea I know I just.." I saw a glimpse of ginger hair. "I've got to go."

He nods. This is the first time he didn't ask to hang out.

I jogged down the corridor, tripping a little as I collided with George. He grabbed my arms to steady me, then raised his eyebrows. "What were you doing?"