Chapter Eighteen

Ch. 18

"Charlie?" I say quietly, leaning over the counter towards him. He looks up at me, raising his eyebrows. "Can we have dinner now?"

It was nearly 8:30 in the evening, and I was starving. He worked from noon until just about a half an hour ago, leaving me in the house with the simple phrase of Wait for me, we'll go get dinner.

"Oh, right." He laughs, standing up. "I..well, I don't really know how to cook. So..." He nods towards the door, motioning for me to follow. I grab my sweater and jog after him. "I would apparate, but it's sort of uncomfortable for a side-a-long..."

"Oh it's fine, I've done it before..." I assure him, slowing my pace once I'm next to him. "That's how I got here, with Dumbledore."

"Oh, right..." He holds his hand out, "We'll be off, then."

I take his hand, and allow him to transport me away to a busy London street. "Err..." I glance around once we're landed. "Where are we?"

"Just down this lane is a small Muggle cafè, we were going to walk to a little pub in Romania, but I like it here much more," he states, walking forward, "I come here all the time for dinner. As I've said, I'm not good at cooking."

Hurrying forward, I grab his arm to assure that I don't get lost in the crowd of muggles. The walk wasn't too long, and the café was quiet and warm against the frigid winter air and crowded streets of London.

"Heller Charlie!" An older woman said pleasantly as we entered, "and who's this? Your lovely sister I've heard so much about?" She had an accent unlike one I had ever heard before, which isn't saying much, since I've only ever met the Order and fellow Hogwarts students.

"No," he laughs politely, walking towards a bar like seat, ushering me with him. "Sue, this is Rose, a friend of mine."

"Well, heller Rose, darling, I'm Sue. Nice ta meet ya." She winks as me, then hands me a menu. "Have a look, then lemme know what yull have."

"Thank you, ma'am." I smile, glancing at Charlie before I open my menu.

"I'll have my usual, Sue, thanks." He states, not having reviewed a menu.

I flip through, deciding on a BLT sandwich. I give my order to Sue, who happily hurries away to get my food, as well as Charlie's.

"How often do you come here?" I laugh, looking at Charlie.

"Not often..." He says, smirking slightly. I raise my eyebrows. "Maybe...two...three times a week?" He laughs, a slight blush rising in his cheeks.

"You know," I state, picking up my menu, "None of this is too hard to make at home."

"Hey now," he holds up his hands in surrender, "Remember, I grew up being fed by Molly Weasley. I've never cooked anything."

"I grew up...alone..." I take a breath, "and I assure you, even children can make these sandwiches."

"Well, then maybe you'll have to teach me while you're here." He states, smiling as our food is served.

"Perhaps I will." I state, then look up at Sue, "Thank you."

"No problem dearies." She winks, then walks to a table across the room where other customers are seated.

We ate in silence for a while. Each of us had a sandwich and side of soup, with a soda. We both finished, and were simply waiting for Sue to come back and take our money.

"Want to know a secret?" Charlie says quietly, looking down at his plate, as if to seem as though he's not actually talking to me. I hum my agreement, taking a sip of soda. "Sue tried to kiss me once." He mumbles.