Birthday

Amare's POV

Tomorrow will probably be the biggest day of my entire life. My name is Amare Ukato, my favorite food is ice cream, and I am 11 years and 364 days old. I've been waiting for this since I was a little girl. Dad says that mom's horns were a shade of light purple pointing backwards with dull tips. I can't wait to see mine! Dad laughs when I bring it up, he says we'll just have to wait and see. But tomorrow morning, my waiting will be over!

Dave's POV

It's hard to believe she's almost twelve, her mother would be so proud of our little girl. I watch he hop down the stairs in a short green dress withe her hair done up in pigtails. "Oh, heck no." I say quickly looking at her, "where did you get that dress?"
"A friend, isn't it cute?" She smiles innocently. Her "cute" dress is so short, I seriously doubt she could pull it halfway to her knees if she tried. "Yeah, no. Not going to happen Mar." I say sternly. "Can you please find something that actually fits you?" She sighs and turns around heading back upstairs.

I put my head in my hand. 'Hah, she's growing up so fast, huh Stella... Sometimes I wonder, what would be different if you were still here...' I wake up from my thinking when I hear Amare at the top of the stairs clearing her throat. She is wearing the same dress, but with a pair of blue jeans under it. "Now it's a shirt." She declares before marching into the kitchen.

I fix her some breakfast and wish her luck at school, before she heads out. I walk into the garage and pull out the iron handle, along with a beautiful leather scabbard, with one wing etched on each side. The handle is imbedded with green emeralds in the shape of a wavy line from top to bottom, the whole thing extremely smooth save for the grips. Both pieces took nearly 10 years to make, and are by far the most beautiful things I have ever created.

I pull the old box from the top shelf, and open it to find the perfect crystal blade, glittering with magic. I securely attach it to its new handle, and smooth the edges, so it looks as though the two pieces had never been apart.

I hold the sheath, which had been coated with a special material made to hold in magic power, and slide it onto its knife. As I do, it begins to glow brilliantly before dying down, signifying that the knife and sheath were now connected. The next time it was opened, Amare's magic would return to her. 

I give a sigh of relief and sew a metal plate to the back, which allows it to attach to a leather belt I made for her. I place the knife and belt into a large box, and wrap it neatly.

I head upstairs to the bedroom and retrieve a small package from under the bed. When Stella knew she wouldn't be able be with Amare when she turned twelve, she got her a present for that day, as it is the most important birthday of them all. Not even I know what's inside, but tomorrow, both Amare and I will find out.

I take both gifts in my arms and set the downstairs on the coffee table in front of the TV, just as I hear Amare come in the front door. "Welcome home Mar!" I call from the family room. "Hey dad! I... Uh..." She hesitates. Oh no. "Another fight Mar?"
"...yeah" she walks in and I see a small cut on her lip.
"That's it?" I ask. She nods. "Well, what was it this time?"
"A kid tried to hurt Mr. Darron."
"Who?"
"The class pet hamster. I said if he wanted to hurt Mr. Darron, he'd have to beat me first."
"And did he?"
She smiles widely, "Nah"
I laugh at her sudden change of attitude and ruffle her hair.
"You know, tomorrow it might be kinda hard to do that."
"Good!" She laughs, "my hair's always messy thanks to you."
"But I'll still be able to do this!" I said as I start tickling her. She laughes and tries to get me back.

Soon we're laughed out, so I get up to head to the kitchen. "We're having sushi again tonight, they had a really big sale on tuna rolls, and I couldn't help myself." I hear Amare laugh as she turns on the tv.
"Sounds okay to me." I grab two trays from the fridge and walk ball to the couch. I hand one to Amare and we watch one of her favorite animes, "what-ya-mah-call-it and do-dad". I'm really not paying much attention, and I don't care for this show in particular anyway.