Flying

Shura jumps at Mephisto, blade poised at his neck, "you take that back you filthy demon!" He mockingly puts his hands up and drops the knife and sheath, which I take quickly. I reattach the leather to my belt, and hold the knife offensively toward Mephisto.

"Take what back Shura?" He says with false regret, "I'm simply saying things as they are, Amare is a demon."
"I'm not a demon you scumbag!"
"Oh?" He's suddenly at my back, one hand touching the dark feathers of my wings. "Then why do you have these hideously stained wings? No doubt you have a tail to match, am I right?" He puts his hand right at the base of my tail, which is curled around my torso. I let out a shriek as he grabs it through my hoodie, "so I was right. You see Shura, she's nothing but a common demon." He said the last part staring directly into my eyes, and I find myself backing toward the wall.

Shura leaps to my side, looping an arm around my waist, "don't you dare say that again!" She screams protectively. Mephisto gives a smirk, and takes a few steps back from us. "If you're so positive that your precious Amare isn't a demon, why don't you show the rest of her class? Open those tarnished wings, and let them see your tail. I'll be observing your class tomorrow, and we'll see how they judge you." He waves us off, dismissing us, and I put my knife back into it's sheath. My wings retreat, and Shura takes me in her arms. She backs out of the room, never taking her eyes off the manipulative creature waving at us.

Once we are a good distance away, and outside the building, she puts me down on the ground. "So... Think you can get out of it Mar?" I shake me head no, and she gives me a nervous smile, "just making sure I wasn't missing something obvious..."
"Yeah... How do you think they're going to react? My whole 'can't get out of it, so whatever happens happens' thing didn't go so well."

I slump into the grass, and Shura joins me, placing a hand over mine.
"It's not your fault Mar, you had the right approach. They're a good group, maybe you can just explain it to them."
"Will I get the chance before they jump to arms and Mephisto declares me a demon? I'll be executed by the hands of my own classmates, I don't know if I'd have the will to fight back."
"I won't let that happen, I'd fight all of heaven and hell to save you." I rest my head on her shoulder, and she places a soft kiss on my forehead.

A worried Suolo runs over, and immediately drops to eye level, "what happened to you two?" Shura stands, and helps me to my feet before giving a long sigh, "I'll tell you everything while Amare trains. Where's Noct?" As if on cue, he lands in front of us, giving his large wings one last flap before relaxing them behind him. "We'll be training right here today. It's an empty area, and it becomes deserted as soon as cram school is over. Because the power drink only works every 48 hours, today we'll be working on you ability to maneuver quickly and precisely through the air. Shura if you would hold Amare's knife out of it's sheath, I do not wish for sharp objects to be involved in this. " Shura nods, and I hand her the sheathed knife before taking off my hoodie.
"Honestly I really wanted to know what it felt like to open this." She smiles excitedly, and pulls the blade from it's cover. She frowns slightly, "that really doesn't feel any different than a normal blade..."
"Shura you've opened it before."
"Oh yeah..."

Noct launches himself into the air, and I follow suit. I haven't flown in so long, and it feels amazing to have the wind brush across my wings again. "Fist I think it's best to work on speed, if you are in trouble, your best bet would be to fly the heck out of dodge. We fly to the edge of the forest about 1.5 miles that way and back. We keep doing it until you match my speed or the sun comes up. Go." Before I can even process what he said, he takes off like a bullet.

I race after him, but I can't even compare to his speed. I focus on making my self as streamlined as possible, and beat my wings faster. Soon my pace increases, and I see the edge of the forest approaching. By the time I get back, Noct is sitting in the grass talking to Shura and Suolo. He stands as I land on the soft ground, and he sighs slightly, "we've got a lot of work to do kid."