Mephiso

I just wanted to let all of you know how happy I am that this story has bee going so well! 1.9k might not sound like much, especially for a story with 28 chapters, but it means the world to me. Thanks especially to those who comment, every time I see a comment, my face lights up, and I am absolutely ecstatic. You all mean a lot to me, so I hope you continue to enjoy the story!

I'm back in class, listening to another one of Yukio's boring lectures, when Shura walks in. I pull my head off the desk, and my dull expression turns into a slight smile. I'm not sure exactly when I fell so hard for her, but there's certainly no way out at this point.

She gives a quick smile in my direction, before a serious expression falls on her face. "Yukio, headmaster Mephisto Pheles has requested your appearance."
"For what Shura."
Shura shrugs, "beats me, I'll watch the class."
Yukio nods and walks out, leaving an awkward silence.

Whispers spread across the back of the room, and Shura rolls her eyes. A pencil speeds through the air, and the tip buries itself about an inch into the far wall. "It's a silent study hall." She sits at Yukio's desk and props her feet on the table. She pulls a can of beer seemingly out of  thin air, and cracks it open.

The door opens nearly half an hour later, and an emotionally exhausted Yukio saunters into the room. By this point, two empty cans lay on the floor, and a third one rests in Shura's hand. Yukio grabs it, and throws it into the trash. The whole class watches nervously as Shura gets up, and Yukio flops into the chair. "Class dismissed for today, Shura and Amare, please stay after." Everyone else files out quietly, and Rin flashes me an apologetic glance  before closing the door behind him.

"Mephisto has been hearing rumors about angel sightings recently, and called me in to see if I'd heard anything."
"Damn it Yukio, what did you say?"
"I told him that I hadn't heard anything, but I could tell that he knew I was lying."
"Well of course he did! Everyone knows that you're a shit lier. No wonder he asked you instead of me." Shura put her face in her hands.
"It's okay right? It's not like he can tell the Angels are here because of me... Right?"
"I guess, but everyone will be on high alert around here. Angels would only come to earth before a major crisis. Which means we need to lay low Mar.

"What else did you guys talk about? You were there for a while." I ask nervously.
"That's the other thing..."
"What other thing you four eyed chicken?!"
"Mephisto wants to see the ability of the newest student, namely you Amare."
"Why's that a problem? I can just summon my little shadow cat."
"A few days ago I would've agreed with that, but now after seeing you in combat. That demon you fought said something about how no angel's shadow could defeat him. Now whether it could actually tell what it was, or it just used the word angel to describe you because you fighting for God against demons, I have no idea. But it's certainly worrying."
"You're saying Mephisto might be able to tell what the shadow is?"
Yukio nods slowly.
"I can't get out of this, right?"
"No, I tried to assure him that Mr. Neuhaus had tested you, but he said he wanted to see it with his own two eyes."
"Then it's no use worrying about, whatever happens, happens."

It's quiet for quite a while, before Yukio speaks again, "In that case Amare, you'd better get going. Shura you'll lead her there I presume?"
"Yeah..."

I follow Shura down the long corridors, I know there's a way to get there instantly, so I can tell she's racking her brain trying to get me out of this. I slid my hand into hers, and squeeze lightly. She glances at me, and smiles slightly, squeezing my hand in return. A large door stands before us, this one far more elegant than any other. She hesitantly knocks on the brightly painted wood, and a cheery voice beckons us in.

A perky man(?) greets us with a bow, his white top hat held in front of him in an act of curtesy, and his flamboyant cape drapes behind him. Trying to withhold his old fashioned greeting, I give a slight awkward bow in return. He laughs and stands straight, with his bright fangs locked in an almost creepy grin. He takes his seat behind his desk, and motions me to sit at the seat in front, while Shura stands uncomfortably by the door.

"Amare Ukato, am I correct?" He says opening a pink glittery notebook.
"Yes sir."
"You are a tamer, correct?"
"Yes"
He smiles brightly, "good! Now let me see it." He opens a top drawer of his desk an pulls out a summoning paper. "Whenever you're ready."

I take the sheet off the desk and take a deep breath. I smear a dot of my blood onto the paper, and call "Umbre Vitae!" As always, my small shadow cat appears with a poof, and I feed him a bit of power to grow larger. I stand beside it and Meshisto looks at us pleasantly. "Am I correct in assuming that was Latin?"
"I believe so."
"Shadow life, living shadow..."
He pauses, and slightly stares off into space. I dismiss the shadow easily after not giving it a command, and sit back in the chair. Shura glances at me nervously, and I shift in the chair.

A minute later, Mephisto finally speaks, "I remember where I've heard that... I knew it sounded familiar." My body turns to ice, he's a fallen angel. How could I be so stupid!
"2nd class shadow manipulation, am I right?"

Shura takes a step toward me, and places her hand above the symbol from which her sword appears, ready to draw it at a moments notice. Mephisto stands, and I get out of the chair quickly and take a step back from the desk. "So, what are you hiding Ms. Ukato?" He says with a grin, "how long it's been since I've seen the beautiful white wings of an angel. Eins zwei drei!" Before I know what's happening, he's at my side with my knife and its sheath in his hand. In all of a second, he managed to unclip it. "What beautiful craftsmanship, the blade must be really something." He draws it, and I feel my wings rip through the fabric of my hoodie, and unfurl behind me, while his eyes stay focused on the crystal-like blade. "What do you know, it is just as marvelous as I'd expect." He looks up and smirks maliciously. "It appears I'd miss judged, you're no more than a demon."