Fifteen

Today marks three years since I got my horns. I climb out of bed and throw on a green tank top and some dark jeans. I wash my face and horns, and run a brush through my hair before smelling the sweet aroma of bacon. I fasten my belt around my waist, and secure my knife to it.

I rush out and slide down the handrail, but stop before I enter the kitchen. "Patet murum" I whisper, activating one of my newest spells. Immediately my body becomes invisible, and I slink behind my father to look over his shoulder. He gives a loud sigh, "I don't know where you are, but don't think I didn't hear you. I've fallen for this twice and will not be fooled a third time." I accidentally laugh, which gives away my location. My dad spins around and tackles me, smearing pancakes batter on me. I loose focus and the spell fades. "I see you now!" he declares and begins tickling me.
"Stop... It!" I say between laughs. He chuckles and goes back to the pancakes.

I smile and turn on the news, apparently last night a huge truck crashed into a nearby church. A few people were injured, and the head priest died. The funeral is planned for today, and his twin sons are being taken in by a family friend. "That's too bad."
"What is?"
"You know that big church a few streets down?"
"Yeah?"
"Head priest died from a crashed truck."
"Damn. you know, you're grandma used to go to that church, and I knew father Fujimoto when I was a bit younger. It would be nice to go pay our respects."

He walks over with a plate of pancakes for himself and me and sets them on the coffee table. I nod and pick up the first one, not bothering with butter or syrup. "So good..." I mutter with my mouth full and he just laughs. "Happy birthday Mar, we'll celebrate more tonight, but I thought pancakes wouldn't hurt."
"Thanks dad" I smile and hug him before going back to breakfast.

After breakfast I take my plate to the sink and grab my sneakers from the backdoor. "Well, are we going? The service will be held in half an hour." Dad takes his shoes from their normal place known as "wherever dad leaves them" and stuffs his keys in his pocket. "Okay let's go."

As we get closer it begins to rain, the gray sky setting the perfect mood for where we're going. We get out, and fortunately I stashed both of our ponchos in the trunk. Not to mention I already wore a hoodie to hide my horns. We trudge up to the place where they were burying him. Everyone looked kinda solum, but this one kid in particular looked like his entire world had just been shattered.

When the service ends, some clown like guy flanked by several darkly dressed men goes up to talk to the kid. Something about them makes me feel really uneasy. The homo waffle starts talking to the kid, who suddenly gets really defensive. I take a step back, preparing myself to jump in if things got bad.

Suddenly homo waffle turns and walks away with a flick of his wrist. His dark posy trails behind and the kid un-tenses his mussels and stands up straight.

"Hey kid, sorry about your old man." I say slowly wandering over to him.
"Oh, uh, yeah... Thanks" he has this sad look in his eyes, wait is it... Guilt?
"Look, no one could have stopped that truck." He looks up suddenly and stares at me. I shrug, "You have guilt written all over your face." He nodded.
"He just... He protected me, ya know? If he hadn't protected me, he'd still be here."
"Yeah, but it's okay. He knew that if he didn't, you would be gone. You've got your life ahead of you kid, he would want you to keep going."
He chuckles a bit, "Don't call me kid. My names rin." He forces a smile trying to hold back tears, but I grab him in a tight hug and he starts sobbing into my shoulder. We are probably about the same age, but right now, he needs someone.

A few moments later he realizes what he's doing and pushes me away with a sniffle,  "Um, thanks." I shrug.
"I live to make others happy." I respond.
"I'll... Uh, see you around I guess."
"Yeah, the name's Amare."
"Okay, um, see yah Amare."
"Bye Rin."

He walks toward the door, and I go back to join my dad who is chatting with a few of the people who work at church. He sees me and waves to the groups and makes his way toward me. "Ready to go Mar?"
"Yeah."

We sit in silence the whole ride home, and I watch the scenery rush by the window. I play with my hands and think back to Rin, I feel bad for the poor kid. I know he's hiding something about his dad's death, because he looked so extremely guilt ridden. I hope he forgives himself, or it'll be hard to move on. I wonder if dad felt that way when mom went.

Dad unlocks the door and I immediately pull off my hoodie and let my tail unwrap from under my shirt. I flick it around eagerly getting out the kinks that had been bugging me earlier. My dad laughs and throws his keys on the front table. "Alright Mar, come help me with lunch."

I run over and pull the bread from the microwave and slap two pieces on each of our plates. With a twirl I wrap my tail around the refrigerator door and pull it open, grabbing the jelly and tossing it to my dad. He catches it and opens it, scooping some onto the bread while I spread on the peanut butter. We smash them together and do a quick cheers before digging in.

After lunch I head up to my room and open my knife, feel my wings stretch out behind me. I flop onto my bed on my stomach, allowing my large wings to rest on either side of me, draping down the sides of the mattress. I open the spell book and twirl a shadow on my fingertips flipping through the pages.

So far I have mastered 1st class shadow control, 2nd class invisibility, and a few weak healing spells. I turn to 2nd class shadow control, which I'm still working on. On the current page is a spell to bring temporary animation to shadows show they can fight for you. So far mine take form, but they don't really do anything.

I form another one and it gawks at me before falling on it's face and fading back into the preexisting shadows on the floor.  I groan into my pillow, 2nd class shadow control allowed the users to give false life to the shadows to allow them to move on their own, while the 1st class lets you move them manually. Let me tell you, attempting to bring temporary life to something is hard, and drains a lot of energy.

I attempt another one, this time a bit smaller, about the size out a large cat. "Umbra vitae" I chant, and see the small creature rise from the shadow. He looks at me questioningly and sits down, cocking his head to the side. I smile, this is what they are supposed to do before they receive orders. "Fetch me that blanket" I tell it.

The small shadow creature stands up and stumbles over to the one I pointed to, picking it up and wobbling back to me. He holds it out and I take it from his little hands. Once I have it, I release his and he fades back to nothingness. I look and the blanket and smile, "one step closer."