Distrust

I love you all so much. 2,600 reads? You guys are seriously the best, I hope you keep enjoying it! If you comment I'll love you forever. And please feel free to pm me if you don't want to comment; advice, criticism and just chatting is very much appreciated.

It begins to get brighter, and I look over to see the sun rising steadily into the sky. I defeatedly return to the ground out of breath, and see Noct leaning against a pole. "Hey kid, well done. You've got stamina, that's for sure, and your turns have gotten far sharper."
"But I didn't defe-"
"Calm down. Don't sweat the small stuff. You improved a lot tonight, and that's good enough for me."

Shura and Suolo are asleep on the grass, Suolo's pure dove like wings covering them like a quilt. I look back at my own dark wings, with feathers like those on a murder of crows. I drop my head, and Noct puts a hand on my shoulder. "Like I just said Amare, don't sweat the small stuff." I nod at him, and carefully move Shura into my arms as she has done to me so many times. Noct lifts Suolo and picks up my knife, sheathing it before tossing it back, "I'll walk you home."

...The next morning ...

Shura and I are both quiet as we get dressed, neither of us daring to talk. I grab my torn hoodie and look at it sadly, and the reality of what I have to do today sinks in even more than before. I toss it to the bed, and Shura feels it tentatively before getting up and walking the her closet. She pulls out a well loved hoodie, and tosses it over to me. "Go ahead and wear this one today Mar." She says quietly.

I put my face into the fabric, and it smells like her. She probably hasn't washed it in a long time, but I don't care, it just makes it smell more of the girl I love. I cry into the hoodie, and sit on the edge of the bed, and Shura wraps an arm around my shoulder, whispering sweet nothings into my ear.

When I'm finally ready to go, she ushers me onto the couch. "We're having a skip day today, okay Mar?" She half smiles, and I nod my head yes. She flips on the TV, and we stay there for what feels like an eternity. Just me in her arms, as if the world wasn't crumbling around us.

Shura checked her watch, and shifted a bit. "Cram school's about to start... You ready?"
"No" I replied emotionless, but I get up anyway, and pull on my shoes. She grabs my hand, and squeezes lightly, "you can do this Mar."
"I hope you're right."
I pulled Shura's hoodie over my head, and put the hood up before griping her hand tighter, "okay, let's go."

We come to the door of the class, and I just about loose it. Nonetheless I open the door slowly, and take my seat near Rin, and Shura heads to a seat in the back. A small white terrier trots in, and I swear he has a far bigger smirk than what should ever be on a dog. No doubt it Mephisto coming to make sure I do what he asked. Yukio heads in normally, and I realize he has no idea what's about to happen.

Yukio closes the door behind him, and seeing everyone in their seats he heads to the podium. I stand slowly, my hands holding the side of the table so tightly my knuckles are white. My head hangs low, and without looking up, I speak up, "Professor Okumura, I have something I need to show everyone." I look up, tears threatening to fall down my face, to see a surprised Yukio. However, his surprise fades as he focuses on something in the back of the classroom, and he nods solemnly, "go ahead." Rin seems to understand, and he grabs my wrist tightly, "Amare, don't." Feeling tears burn in the corner of my eyes, I turn my head away and yank my arm from his grasp.

The walk to the front feels like miles, even though I was in the front. I take of the hoodie shura had lent me, and hear a few startled gasps, but no one moves. I don't dare look at the faces of my classmates as I fold the jacket and set it on the podium. Taking a deep breath I turn my back to the class and put my hand on the hilt of my knife, and pull it out. My ebony wings unfurl, and I allow my dark green tail to fall from my blouse. 

The room is still, it feels like everyone has stopped breathing, perhaps they have. I turn back toward my former friends, keeping my head down, and my wings droop like the limp wings of a dying crow. The tears I had been trying to avoid fall to the floor, and I slowly lift my head. Their faces were filled with anger, confusion, and distrust. For the second time this year, someone they thought they knew turned out to not be a human. They have no reason not to kill me right now, but not one of them moves. The anticipation was killing me. How many breaths did I have left? How many minutes?

A poof of smoke erupts from the back of the room, and where the dog once was now stood Mephisto himself. "Wonderful show dear, it seems you've left the audience speechless. Now what will you do? Will you run like the traitor you are, our endure an honorable death?"
Shura bolts up, "That wasn't the deal Mephisto! You said her classmates would decide!"
He leans nonchalantly on his umbrella, "very well then. Class, you will decide her fate. How many times will you allow yourselves to be tricked?" 
Shura is about to say something when I interrupt, "he's right, I lied to all of you, and I'm sorry. But before you decide to kill me, will you at least listen to my reasoning?"  A chair moves out, and I wait for a blow that never comes. Instead, Shiemi stands up to answer me, "I trust you Amare. Please go ahead." I look up and the rest of them are shaking their heads, agreeing with her.

I tell them my story, from how my mother came to earth, to when I was kidnapped, to just three days ago when I found out I was probably wanted by Gehenna. It's quiet as I speak, and each of them kept their eyes focused on me. I end my story, and no one says a word. They all appear to be thinking it over, when the door bursts open, and Noct and Suolo rush into the classroom, with panic in their eyes.