Spells

I will be updating this story Monday and Thursday, but since it is becoming popular so quickly, I might be updating more. The drawing is Amare at the age of about 16, she's not that endowed at 12 xD

Amare's POV

I go up to my room and sit on the end of my bed. I pull out the book and flip through the pages, pausing to look at each of the detailed drawings of horns. I never realized how many different variations there were. I passed through all of the ones marked "common" and still hadn't found a pair that resembled mine.

Next there was a page that read, "Rare horns: these horns only belong to a select few, and represent an important role in society." These horns were far more unique, some twisted out, like the branches of a tree, others curled up like spires. I found the horns belonging to my mother, they were small, and curved forward the back and in, kinda like a question mark. My mother used to be the head healer, she had such an important job.

A few pages I found a pair of horns shaped exactly like my own. Beneath the image read, "These horns mark the heart of a true warrior, the angel with these horns are the head of the royal army. They have incredible physical and magical ability, and can learn a very wide variety of spells. I would suggest trying to learn 1st class fire control, 1st and 2nd class shadow control, 2nd class invisibility, and minor healing spells if you were granted these horns. Reach for the stars darling, and don't let anyone hold you back."

I quickly pick up my phone and call dad. After what seems like an eternity, he answers, "Hello Dave Ukato, this is AFC, how can I-"
"Dad, it's Amare!" I cut him off.
"Oh, hey Mar, what's up?"
"I found what my horns mean!"
"Oh yeah? Lay it on me!"
"Head of the Royal army, how cool is that?!" I hear him laugh.
"Wow heaven lost a head healer, and missed out on a head of the royal army, I bet they're pissed."
"Yup" I say with a laugh.
"Alright Mar, I've got to go, but go ahead and start practicing some spells. Just try not to wreck the place, okay?"
"Got it. Bye dad!"

I hang up and reach to touch my smooth horns. "Head of the army, huh?" I laugh to myself. I open to the spells in the back of the book. I figure I may as well start with shadows, so I don't burn the house down if I mess up.   First class shadow control is shadow manipulation. I read the whole thing carefully, and find the darkest spot of the room. Focusing on the shadow, I raise my hand with a quick twitch of my wrist. For the first stage of training, the shadow is supposed to race up the wall, but it can take a few tries. I wasn't really expecting anything to happen, but to my surprise the shadow quivered around the edge as if it was trying to move. I tried several more times, and at each attempt it moved a bit father toward the wall.

Strangely enough, it was kinda tiring , so after about an hour I decided to take a break to read up on the spells. Apparently 1st class spells dealt mostly with body motion and concentration, while 2nd class deals with incantations and mental strength.

I start feeling like taking a nap, so I lay the book on my side table and roll over so I face the window. Next thing I know, I hear the door open and my dad call up the stars. I run down and push him onto the couch, "Watch this!" I say and point to the corner of the room. I focus on the shadow, and flick my wrist upward, sending the shadow 3/4 of the way up the wall. "Wow, nice job!" He exclaims. I grin widely.
"Thanks, it's the first step for 1st class shadow control."
"I'll leave that to you. Just no fires"
"Aww, but mom said fire control would be good."
"Not until you're older, I really don't want to rebuild the house after you've Burt it down." He laughs nervously.
"It's cool dad, I get it." I grin back and he pulls me into a tight hug.
"Come here you weirdo" he laughs trying to ruffle my hair, but ultimately failing thanks to my horns.
"I love you dad."
"Love you too Mar."