Chapter 42 - I'm So Sorry

Robyn's P.O.V.
"THOMAS!" I screamed, covering my mouth with my hands. I could hardly see through the tears that were flowing down my face. I felt like my heart was about to burst, it was beating so fast. My arms shook violently as I dropped to the floor, crying out another scream. In the dim moonlight that shone through the window, I could see Thomas, crumpled in a heap on the floor. His shirt was ripped and there were cuts and bruises all over his body. There was a giant gash that ran deep along his chest, and it was bleeding badly. His back was bent at an awkward angle and there were more cuts and blackening bruises along his spine. His arms were covering his face and terrified, I slowly took hold of them and moved them away from his face. His entire body flinched as I did, and I almost choked on my tears at what I saw.

Thomas' right eye was black, there were a lot more cuts along his cheeks and forehead and his nose was bleeding. I cupped his head in my hands.

"Thomas? Thomas can you hear me? Thomas?" I choked again, my shoulders shaking as I cried, "Thomas please. Please Thomas!" Suddenly, his body shook and his eyes shot open. They were terrified.

"Oh my God Thomas! Thomas?" I cried.

"Robyn........Steph she...." Thomas coughed hard. Wait, was that blood?

"Okay one second Thomas, I'm just gonna turn on the light okay?" Slowly, I got up on my feet and reached for the light switch. As the light filled the room, I was momentarily blinded. Then, as my vision became less fuzzy, I got a proper look at Thomas and the state of the kitchen. Plates were smashed and littered the floor with razor sharp shards of china. Glass was scattered along with the plates on the floor, and I was instantly glad I was still wearing my shoes. But Thomas was worse. Blood was seeping through his shirt and onto the floor and his body looked broken. I dropped to Thomas' side again and grabbed my phone. Dialling 999 I called for an ambulance, and then for the police. My voice kept breaking on the phone - I couldn't believe it. Once I was off the phone, I took hold of Thomas' hand.

"Thomas, can you speak okay?" I asked slowly, trying to hold back the tears this time.

"Ugh, it hurts Robyn. It hurts." He groaned. I could barely hear him.

"It's okay Thomas, you're gonna be okay!" I tried to sound brave, but I really wasn't. I was terrified out of my wits.

"Robyn...." He tried moving slightly, but screamed out in pain when he did.

"Thomas don't move! Please don't move, you'll make it worse!" I cried, taking hold of his arms, "Please Thomas! Oh I'm so sorry! This is all my fault! I should never have left!" I arched my back and leaned my head against my knees. I cried hard.

"Love....this isn't your fault.......Steph......she was here......" Thomas blinked back tears as he slowly moved his arm and took my hand.

"Thomas......I'm so sorry!" I reached down and cupped his face in my hands again. I pressed my lips lightly to his forehead and kissed him, "I love you." A loud bang sounded from the corridor, causing me to jump back. Paramedics and policemen came running in, shouting and screaming orders. One woman gasped as she saw Thomas, covering her mouth with her hands again. Everything happened so quickly. The paramedics carefully and slowly lifted Thomas' body onto a stretcher and on the count of three, carried the stretcher into the corridor. Thomas yelled out in pain, and I cried out again.

I hadn't let go of his hand the entire time, and although he was squeezing it so hard, it was probably purple by now, I didn't feel the pain. I just had to be with him. I was responsible for this. This was my fault. As we entered the main corridor, one of the policemen grabbed my shoulder.

"Miss Wood?" I turned round, letting go of Thomas' hand as I did, "We have confirmation that the girl you described, Stephanie Brown, has been arrested. She was driving a black BMW away from here, but got cornered by the police. You won't have to deal with her again." He said quickly. But I got every word. For all I cared, that girl could die. She did this to Thomas, and she was gonna pay. Nodding and crying at the same time, I ran back down the corridor and took hold of Thomas' hand again.

The paramedics carried Thomas into the back of the ambulance, constantly shouting out commands to each other. As we drove away, I sat beside Thomas and ran my fingers slowly through his hair. Suddenly, my phone rang, making me jump. It was Charlie.

"Ch-ch-charlie!" I cried down the phone.

"ROBYN! WHAT'S WRONG?" She shouted down the phone.

"Thomas he-" I broke down, shaking my head.

"Robyn, I can't understand you. Look calm down, calm down okay and tell me what happened!" Charlie said. I could tell she was trying to remain calm. Shaking my head, I passed the phone to the paramedic who was sat next to me. She nodded, before taking the phone and explaining to Charlie what had happened. I could hear Charlie cry down the phone as the woman told her. That only made me cry more. I looked up at Thomas. His eyes were closed, and his chest was rising with short and shallow breaths.

"Come on Thomas, come on," I said through gritted teeth, running my hand through his hair again slowly, "Thomas, I'm so sorry!"