Chapter Five

Pic of Zach.

Zach's POV

After one week of searching and trying to track Hailey's scent we were all tired and I had lost hope. I called off the search and returned with a heavy and broken heart. I knew it was entirely my fault and I had to suffer the consequences. And now all I wished was to turn back time and make everything right. But sadly that seemed next to impossible.

Today was yet again another day and I felt lost and empty. Before I never did understand the bond between mates and used to think of it as a stupid childish fantasy. Mated wolves always tried to put sense in me by describing the feeling but I as usual I teased them to an extend they gave up. Now I did know and all I could do was think about her.

What must she be doing? Is she alive? Did she miss me? Does she hate me? Will I ever see her again? All these questions built up in my mind, to which I had no answer.

I hadn't told anyone that Hailey was actually my mate. I was so afraid, yea I know being an alpha I shouldn't but how will my pack react when they found out I rejected my true mate, their Luna. I'm so screwed.

As I dwell in my sadness, there's a knock on my door and my father, lead elder of my pack, Thomas Erickson and behind him my beta and best friend Hayden.

I looked from dad to Hayden questioning their presence in my office. Hayden wasn't any better than me. He had huge purple bags under his eyes due to the lack of sleep. He looked older and thinner. I missed the Hayden who used to make me laugh all the time at his ridiculous jokes. Now all I saw was a brother who regrets losing his baby sister for a bit of reputation.

"How may I help you dad?' I asked in a bored tone not hiding the irritation in my voice.

"Zach, my son this pack is the largest and strongest of all. We have kept this title for a long time and I'm proud of the way you have managed to uphold this title at such a young age." He started looking at me in a questioning manner.

"Dad why the sudden praise, just get to the point." I stated.

He didn't say anything but I could tell he didn't  like my tone, not that I gave a damn. So he can suck it up!

"Alright I'll say this straight, this pack needs a Luna, and a strong one." He said looking at me with anger and frustration.