Chapter Twenty-Four

Hailey's POV

Talking and laughing, Hayden and I made our way downstairs. We told each other everything we missed in these three years. It felt so good talking to him so freely and knowing that he was listening to every word I said. He was proud when he heard how I had become pack warrior. The only thing I had left out was me being a witch and that Logan was killing wolves because of me. I wanted to tell him and Zach together, speaking of him; the familiar sweet smell hit me like a wave as I entered the living room. I stopped and Hayden turned to look at me with a questioning look, but when he noticed I was looking at something behind him he turned and growled lowly.

Zach was talking to Kevin and Tyler and on his right stood a blond girl who looked a little older than me. She was beautiful with platinum blonde hair with brown streaks and silver grey eyes. Her pale flawless skin made her look so captivating. I turned to leave but Hayden took my hand in his and pulled me towards them. Zach's eye found mine and sadness seeped into them. When he looked down and saw our hands intertwined, a small smile formed on his lips. We stopped right in front of them and that's when her scent hit me. She had a faint smell of Zach on her, on instinct I looked at her exposed shoulder and saw the mating mark on her. It was small which was a little unusual for an alpha wolf, the mark was of a head of a wolf with black fur and a small 'Z' was written below it. My eyes widened and tears threatened to fall but blinking quickly I faked the best smile I could.

"Zach, you have met my sister Hailey, right?" Hayden asked him, his voice dripping with venom. So I guess he just found out the reason I had left. I hated the way he spoke to my mate but I would have done that too if I was in his shoes.

"Oh my, is she the one who ran away three years ago?" The blonde girl asked in surprise. I nodded in shame and embarrassment. Was I always going to be referred as the one who ran away?

"Well I'm glad your back. Hayden and Zach were really sad that you had left the pack." I smiled at her. She looked kind and loving, maybe that is why Zach chose her. She was perfect Luna material. My wolf howled as if calling out to her mate, questioning his betrayal. Zach flinched a little but no one noticed expect me. I looked away from him and stared at my feet.

"How rude of me," She suddenly exclaimed. "I'm Esther, Luna of this pack." It hurt a lot more hearing that a loud. She turned to Zach and it was clear that her eyes held so much love for him. I didn't want to look at him fearing he would have the same look towards her. That would hurt a lot more. My heart was beating loudly, and I was scared someone would notice.

"We should celebrate your return, Hailey. Don't you think so sweetheart?" She said smiling at Zach. He shrugged and grunted in response. Suddenly a sense of possessiveness filled me and my wolf was fighting to come out and teach this girl a lesson. She wanted to mark him as her, that mark's rightful place was my neck. I clenched Hayden's hands with so much strength, I'm sure it hurt him but he didn't complain.

"Thank you. That's very kind of you." I spoke in a strained voice. "Actually I'd like to go and rest, feeling a bit tired." I told her.

"Sure I'll ask someone to make a room for you." She said kindly that I felt bad, she didn't deserve my hate.

"No thanks, but I'd like to sleep in my old room. It feels familiar and comfortable." I smiled and then turned to leave but Hayden took my hand to follow my, but I shook my head, kissed him on the cheek and removed my hand from his. I needed to be alone for now; he reluctantly nodded and turned to leave giving Zach a glare before walking out the door. I signed and made my way to my room.

I was tired and knew that it's time to just deal with it for a few months. My wolf has to come to terms with this no matter what. I know I'd always feel empty from the absence of my mate and I need him to make me whole but the look Esther had of love and admiration towards him made me think twice. Did he love her back? Did his eyes hold the same love for her? Would he ever want to leave her for me? My head hurt with so many questions, I walked to the window and laid my head on the cool windowpane feeling a little better.