Chapter Eleven

Hailey's POV

The sky was a bright blue colour and the pure white clouds adorned it. The air was filled with the melodies of chirping birds and it smelt of fresh dew mixed with that earthy smell of soil and nature. Overall it was a perfect weather and everyone would be enjoying it. I on the other hand wasn't living this prefect moment. I was sitting with Esmeralda near the pond just exchanging smiles and small talks. Boy was it awkward. I wanted to just ask her everything she knew but I knew that she was just trying to get comfortable before telling me everything. I didn't know her but there was this familiarity in her that I couldn't shake off.

"Okay this is getting really awkward." I said out loud and she nodded in confirmation, "Please just tell me what you know about my parents." I looked eagerly at her as my heart was beating fast in my chest. She looked at me and then turned and stared at nothing in front of her. I just waited patiently, though my so called patience was going to slip from my fingers any moment. She took a breath and turned back at me. "Will you just tell-," I was cut off by her hand on mine. Smiling at me she said, "You're just like him. Impatient as a small child." I held my breath as she continued. I felt a strange tugging at my heart when she mentioned my father and our alikeness.

"Oh where do I start." she whined. "How about from the beginning?" I suggested. She nodded and continued, "In the year 1950 when your father was just 15 years we lost our tribe in a famine. We were the only survivors including Hena, a young witch who also lost her family. I was too young to understand what was going on back then. We buried our dead and left from there with no clue how to move ahead. For nearly two years we moved from place to place to find a permanent one to settle down. Around that time witches were hunted down and killed. Vampires and different supernatural beings were coming out of hiding. We are known as the servants of nature. So keeping balance in the world was our most important job. So when they started breeding we had to stop them by creating difficult obstacles like climatic changes, storms, etc. The vampires and werewolves' joined forces for the first time in history and started hunting every tribe of witches and brutally killing them. Many of us lost their lives and some who survived went into hiding."

"Since we weren't a part of a tribe they couldn't find us easily. Elijah was trained by the best. Our father was the king of seven combined tribes as well as the council head of the court of witches. So we could survive and hide without getting caught. This killing spree lasted for three whole years and every day hundreds of witches and warlocks were killed. Once they were satisfied that they had gotten rid of our species everything slowed down. Then six months later news spread that the vampires and they rest of them had gone back to hiding. The leader of the rogue werewolves had backstabbed them. I think you have heard about him. His name is Logan. Yes the very same person who was the cause of your parents' death."

I shivered in anger upon hearing his name. Bile rose into my mouth. But she ignored my reaction and went on, "Then for the next 15 years we lived in a small forest in Oklahoma that had a river flowing through. We trained well, as Elijah watched over us. During these years, we didn't come across any witches that might have survived. He thought that it was best that they remain in hiding even though there wasn't any threat. Then one night we were surrounded by a group of people in capes and fire torches. At first we feared the worst that we were caught. They gagged, tied and blindfolded us and brought us to a small village within a dense forest. Later we found out that they were some of the witches that survived. That village barely consisted of 30-40 people. They questioned us and we assured them we weren't the enemy. Thankfully one of the hunters recognized Elijah because of his resemblance to our father. After that they welcomed us with open arms and since they didn't have a proper leader so Elijah was voted to become the tribe's leader. And he was a really good one."