Chapter Seventeen

Hailey's POV

"Hey what you doing out here?" Esme stepped out onto the porch and sat beside me on the steps.

Shrugging I stared at the orange sky. It was late evening and the sun's final rays adorned the sky for the last time today. The color blue, orange and grey merged into a band of waves dancing in their own music. No matter how many times I had witnessed this, every time it was as surreal as the first. The dull yet alluring shadows of the tree sent shivers down my spine. My gaze was fixed on the horizon as I nursed a cup of coffee.

"You know I would have thought you'd be dancing with the rest of them inside." She said jerking her thumb to the doors behind. Muffled music could be heard from within the walls of the pack house. It was all in my honor. Few hours ago I was sworn in as the new Pack Warrior of the Blue Sky Pack. The ceremony was short yet beautiful.

It began with Sloan welcoming the members and describing the purpose of the event, which was me overpowering Tyler. Tyler didn't show any signs of discomfort but in fact he looked happy. Well if he was faking it then it was a damn good act. Then Liam came on stage with Nate beside him and said good things about Tyler and then me. As I was called up onto the podium the room filled with loud claps. A huge smile formed on my face and I blushed a little. Sloan then motioned me to put my right hand on what looked like a tattered old book that he held in front of me and the other on my right shoulder. I was then told to recite the vows of pack warrior.

"I, Hailey Johnson, swear on this ancient book of Lycan that I will forever hold and cherish this pack with my life. I vow to protect every member wolf, she-wolf and cub from any harm. My allegiance lies with my Alpha and his Beta till I have served my purpose to this pack. May my service be fulfilling to my Alpha and his pack."

I was then told to kneel in front of Liam who held my wrist with his huge hand. For a few seconds nothing happened and I thought I might have done something wrong, but then suddenly my wrist stung as if a hit rod was pierced onto my skin. Flinching I wriggled my hand but Liam held it tight.

"Just a few seconds Hails." He whispered. Whimpering in silence, I nodded and surely enough few seconds later I was released. Getting on to my feet I looked at my hand and sure enough, there was a huge black burn on my wrist just below my thumb. My skin was tender and the pain was bearable but it did sting like hell. Great, that looked horrible and ugly. Keeping my thoughts to myself I bowed before my alpha and walked down as the ceremony ended.

The after party was amazing and I was sure the five boys had planned it down to a dime. But my mood gradually changed from joy to anxiety. It made me leave the party and come back here. Everyone was having a great time and no one noticed I was gone. Liam had gone off somewhere after few minutes of the party. He looked worried but I knew he would tell me what the problem is later.

"No Esme, I'm actually very happy to be pack warrior and it feels great. I'm just feeling overwhelmed so came out for some air." I replied. I put down my half-drunk coffee beside me and crossed my hands in front of me protectively. She placed her hand on my shoulder, "What's really bothering you Hails?" I asked slowly.

I rubbed my thumb on my burn, which had now magically turned into a tattoo that looked like a shield with a picture of a wolf howling towards the moon and two swords crossed behind it. It looked beautiful and every minuet curve and design was precise. The border of the shield was what I loved the most. There were fine writings written in some ancient language that had these really delicate strokes and that if not scrutinized well looked like a beautiful design. I wondered what it means; maybe I'll ask Liam someday.