Chapter Twenty-Seven

Haileys's POV

I stood there in front of him, watching his expressions carefully. My heart was beating wildly, in anticipation of what would his reply be. His expression was blank, giving nothing away. His eyes looked filled with determination but I just couldn't read them. He looked at me straight in the eye, and I knew he had finally come to a conclusion. Was I ready for it?

"Okay." He said. That's it? I stared at him not knowing whether he meant it or not.

"Okay? OKAY? That's all you got to say?" I yelled out in frustration. He really was getting on my nerves.

"Yes, if that is what you want, then okay. If this will make you happy then I will do it. Because your happiness is what I want." He said without any expression. I stopped and faced him, wanting to ask him the one question that has haunted me forever. But no matter what, I couldn't because I was scared that the reply would not be what I wanted to hear.

"Hailey, please tell me what's on your mind?" He stepped towards me but kept his distance, for which I was grateful. His scent was making my wolf edgy and unstable. I turned and faced the window, glancing at the now clear sky.

"Do you love her?" I whispered barely recognizing my own voice. He didn't say anything for a long time. I wanted to turn and see if he was still there or had left me again. A small sob escaped my lips, at the same time I felt strong yet gentle arms wrap around me from behind. I couldn't move, every muscle felt numb and stiff. I leaned in wanting to feel him close, wishing that everything was different. I gave myself this single moment to feel safe in the arms which was always meant to be mine.

"Hailey I need you to know something." He said near my ear. I shivered as his heavenly voice sent me into a deep frenzy. I nodded vigorously, closing my eyes, wanting to hear that voice again.

"I know I was a jerk to you all those years ago. I was wrong, but I was young and stupid and a complete ass. But the minute you walked out of my life, I was broken. Nothing felt the same. And that's when I understood that all the times I hurt you, was because I tried to ignore the little feelings I had for you. I will never forgive myself for hurting you." Every word made me sad, angry yet happy at the same time. I was in a huge tornado of weird feelings.

His arms tightened around me making my wolf want to turn and just kiss him full on the lips. So I did the next best thing. I slowly placed my hands over his which rested on my stomach. The tingles felt amazing and I signed loudly.

"I never mated with her." My eyes opened quickly and my body stiffened. I tried to get out of his grip, wriggling with all my strength. I could feel myself crumble all over again. He held me and didn't let me go.