I Can See Part II

You're finally home, relaxing after a cool shower. You wait for Matt to come out and sit with you, but he doesn't.

"Matt? Are you alright?" You call.

You hear a sniff before he answers. "Yeah. I'll be right out."

When he finally does come out you see that he has blood shot eyes, presumably from crying, and vacant again. You wait for him to sit next to you, then you curl into his side, letting him know you're there for him.

"I'm sorry." He says. "I'm trying to focus on the fact that I got to see again. I mean, that's something I never thought I'd be able to do. It's still hard going back to being blind though."

"I'm sorry, I can't imagine."

"No, I'm blind again." He lets out a bitter laugh. "I don't want pity."

"It's not pity, it's compassion."

A smile flickers across his face, but it's gone as soon as it appears. "Thank you, I don't want to seem ungrateful."

"Matt. I know that."

He nods. "You know what the best part was?"

"What?"

"From the moment she opened my eyes, so to speak, seeing you. God, seeing you. Those tears weren't just because I was seeing after 20 years of not seeing. Part of it sure, but to see the love of your life for the first time..." He shakes his head. "I can't tell you how lucky I feel. Then when you drove us out to that field to look at the stars, but the moonlight reflecting off your bare skin was more beautiful than any star."

"Oh Matt." You scoff as you cover your face and let yourself fall onto his shoulder.

"I mean it, I'll never forget that. We'll be old and grey and I'll be the pervy old man who embarrasses his wife talking about how hot she was when they met."

"You're already like that."

He laughs. "In all seriousness. I didn't dare to even dream of seeing the person I ended up falling in love with, yet it happened. I just kept thinking 'that's her, she's the one I've been with all this time, she's the one I fell in love with, and now I can see her'."

You smile as a feeling of warmth rushes over you. "That's so interesting. The first time I saw you I didn't know I would end up falling in love with you, so I didn't get that sensory overload that you did."

"So love at first sight isn't real?" He smiles.

You shrug. "Not for me."

"Yeah, I guess not. I almost don't mind though. It's been a year and a half of just imagining what you look like and it was like this big reveal. You're more beautiful than I could've ever imagined." He thinks for a moment. "I fell in love with your mind first, so I guess I would've thought that regardless though."

You smile. "How did I ever manage to find you?"

"My money's still on S.H.I.E.L.D. leading you to me."

You smack his bicep. "You'd lose that bet. That's not what happened."

He chuckles. "I know, I'm teasing."

"Right when I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world with my boyfriend getting all mushy and praising me. Turns out he thinks I'm betraying him."

He holds you tighter when you go to sit up. "Come on, that's not what I meant."

"You know being an agent is a top secret job, as cliched as that sounds. The rules are that you can't know unless we get married. If they find out that you know, I could lose my job, or they could find you and who knows what lengths they'll go to to keep you quiet. They could wipe my memories, make me forget about you and them-"