When You Kill the Lights and Kiss My Eyes I Feel Like a Person for a Moment

You were blessed with a soulmate who has amber eyes. For a while, you remember worried glances when you could name the whole rainbow. Did you not have a soulmate? Of course, people's soulmates die all the time. Not usually so young, but sometimes babies and kids die. It's the world we live in. But not having a soulmate at all? Could that happen? If it could, it was so rare that it was something your parents had to research. When you realized what color you were missing, everyone let out a sigh of relief. Your grandmother gave you a piece of amber to keep with you, so you could know right away if you found your soulmate. You'd see their eyes, of course, but for most, a whole world lights up around them. For you, it would be much more subtle.

It meant there were few things you couldn't see the color of. Scotch, beer bottles, old medicine bottles. Honey, stained glass, amber itself. Most of the time you forgot about it. When you did think about it, you'd ask people to describe it to you. They described it as a mix between yellow and brown. To be honest, it sounded gross. Green; blue; rich, dark brown; and stormy, grey eyes are beautiful, but you can't even picture amber. But to know that there's another color that you can't perceive yet? How can that be anything but magical?

The idea of a soulmate, of that one person meant for you, baffles you. Someone is out there right now, waiting to meet you. Waiting for your touch to let them see the color they've been missing from their life. You often wonder what it will be like. You'll have nothing to go off of except that someone or something out there thinks you should be together. It's like the universe is setting you up on a blind date.

-0-

Matt never thought he would find his soulmate, because, well, he's blind. You can't see a new color if you can't see color at all. So, he threw himself into school. Then his internship and work, then Daredevil. He's dated, of course, but he always knew he was a placeholder. Someone to spend the time with while they waited for who they were supposed to be with. It was fine because neither party was trying to fool the other.

A few girls he dated tried to convince him that they could all of a sudden see brown, like his eyes. Some of them might've even been convincing if Matt wasn't a human lie detector. He would've been happy to give these women a chance if they hadn't tried to take advantage of him. After all, they wanted forever with him and that was a rarity.

-0-

Your day hasn't been good. Any other day, you would buy a box of wine and drink it until you fell asleep. Tonight though, you didn't want to be alone. Even if it was going to be a night surrounded by strangers, drinking amber colored liquid. Hence why you're at your favorite dive bar, sitting in a corner, taking in the sounds around you. You're not expecting to pick anything up, but one conversation does pique your interest.

"How is your soulmate supposed to find you, Matt?"

"What do you mean?"

They're both a little drunk. Okay, the blond one is a lot drunk. The blind one is feeling good.

"So, first, you're blind, so you won't know."

"Thanks, Foggy. I've never thought of that before. It definitely hasn't been something that's plagued me since I've been old enough to care."

"Sorry, low blow, I'm drunk."

"It's fine. That was only your first point, go on."

"Okay, well. You can't see when people try to shake your hand, and they often give up. That's like half of how all soulmates find each other. How is she supposed to know?"

"Once again, thank you for this insight."

"You told me to keep going."

"I know. What else have you discovered?"