Religion

A/N: Okay, so this is just something I wrote because I'm self indulgent trash. The reader is not relegious and she talks to Matt about it. She talks about how sexist the religion she grew up in was, so if you will be offeneded by that, don't read it. And yes, all the things she mentions actually happened.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You're sitting in Matt's bed, watching him as he gets dressed for church.

"Do you want to come with me?"

At the question, your stomach sinks. You eye the dress in your closet like it might jump out and wind itself around your neck any minute. It was something your parents bought you for church years back, and you'd kept it in case of a date or formal event. You wore it to a friend's wedding once, but it's only been collecting dust since then. You know how important religion is to Matt, but you can't bring yourself to be okay with it. The way your family presented it to you when you were growing up turned you off to it. For a while even the mention of it gave you a bout of anxiety, but you've gotten over it for the most part. Now you're you're just nervous because he's religious. Not that you have anything against it. It's just that most 'Christians' you've met have had a bigot waiting under the surface. You like him a lot and don't want him to turn out like the type of professed Christian you're used to.

"Not today Matt. I'll see you when you get home."

He stops tying his tie for the moment and you can see the wheels turning in his head. You know he's using his senses to analyze you, you'd recognize that face anywhere. His brows furrow together as he listens to your heartbeat. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just don't want to go to church."

"I believe you; your heartbeat speeds up a little whenever I've mentioned it in the past."

You sigh. "Yeah. The household I grew up in was very religious and it left a bad taste in my mouth."

"What about it bothers you?"

"Are you trying to convert me Matthew? Because if I can withstand my entire family, and virtually everyone I knew growing up, I don't think it's going to work." You try to lend a light tone to your voice.

"No, I just want to know. I mean, if something is so bad gives you mild anxiety, it makes me wonder what I'm not seeing." He sits on the edge of the bed next to you.

Well you thought you'd gotten over your anxiety about it. You almost start talking before you decide against it. "We can talk about it later. You're going to be late."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, go on." You lean forward and kiss him.

"Alright. I'll see you in a couple hours."

-0-

When Matt gets home, he sticks something in the fridge before he finds you on the sofa and sits next to you. "Hi."

"Hey." You say as you lean in and kiss him. "What'd you get?" You ask when you part.

"Just a little something for later."

"Okay." You lean back against the sofa and start scrolling through the internet again.

"So, about this morning."

You sigh. "I was hoping you forgot."

"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to- not right now- but I'd like to know why you have an issue with it."

You think about it for a moment. He should know, considering how religious he is. If you remember correctly, being with an unbeliever is kind of a deal breaker. Or is was in your congregation anyway. Besides, it's why you're so hesitant in your relationships. You've never dated anyone so religious, so you're even more cautious with him. "I guess you should should know since it has to do with my commitment issues."