Curves are (more than) Alright

You've been nervous since yesterday when you had your interview at Nelson and Murdock. They hired you on the spot and today is your first day. You're only the 4th employee, but they're a young practice trying to expand. They all seem like decent people. The more you think about it, the more your nervousness mixes with excitement.

You walk up and take a deep breath before you open the door. What you see is... not what you were expecting. They're all sitting in the reception area. Matt and Foggy are behind a desk, facing the door and Karen is facing them. Karen takes notes on something and Matt and Foggy freeze as they each shove a cupcake in their mouth.

"Uh, should I come back?" You glance at your watch, wondering if you're early or have the wrong day or something.

Foggy is the first one to recover. "No, you're right on time. Want a cupcake?"

"No thanks."

"You sure? There's plenty." Foggy asks.

"Really. I'm okay, thank you."

"Suit yourself." Foggy acts like you just turned down a hundred dollar bill.

"So what's the occasion?" You ask.

They all exchange glances, well Foggy and Karen do, before Karen answers. "We were seeing who could eat the most cupcakes in three minutes."

You laugh. "Who won?"

"They both had six." Karen shrugs.

"Aww. No winner?"

"Nope."

"I see. So is there something I should get started on?"

"Yeah! Right over here, Matt and I will move." Foggy says and Matt stands, going straight to his office. "You can work with Karen here. As we expand I guess we're going to have to find more office space."

"Maybe, but this should work."

"Alright, I think Karen can help you out with the rest. Are you good?" Foggy asks.

"Yeah, I should be."

"Alright I'm going to get started on some work." Foggy says as he exits.

You take a seat and Karen explains what you're going to be doing. The two of you sit in silence for the most part, but there's a question clawing at you.

"Is something wrong with Matt?" You ask Karen as you work.

"Why do you ask?"

"He was quiet this morning, he didn't seem so distant in the interview."

"I think he was just embarrassed. He takes his job seriously." She pauses. "Don't get me wrong. He's charming and has a sense of humor, he just tries to be professional. Foggy finally got him to let loose before you walked in."

"Oh." You feel bad, but you don't think she meant anything by that last sentence, so you brush it off. "Well it made me less nervous. I can tell you that I've never felt so comfortable with my boss. I mean, who gets offered cupcakes on their first day?"

She laughs. "Yeah, it's great. You fit in here. It's not like you're a client or anything."

-6 months later-

Your position at Nelson and Murdock is the first job you've had where you get along with all your coworkers. Matt and Foggy are so down to earth; working here is like you're all a big team instead of having actual bosses. The four of you do your share and get your share of the proceeds.

Matt though, is a whole other story. Not that it's awkward or he's haughty, no. Karen was right; the bastard's charming and witty. Mind you, it's a different witty than Foggy delivers, but Matt knows how to have a good time on occasion. Your ever developing crush on Matt makes you feel like You're in high school again, but it won't go away. To make matters worse, you think he's picking up on it. He may be blind, but he sure notices when you're gawking. Not that he's called you out on it, of course. He just has a tendency to ask if you're okay, right as you're admiring something or another about him.