Is this the Dumbass, Matt?

Foggy is the first one you meet. You work at a beloved little bakery in Hell's Kitchen, and for the most part, it's not too bad now that you've gotten the basics down. Foggy comes in at least once a week with a jovial greeting, and you've come to love his little visits. He always comments on which cakes and pastries he likes best and is overall pleasant. (Which is more than you can say for many of the customers who come in here.)

The next one you meet is Karen. She comes in with Foggy looking for a birthday cake for their friend. Most of the time, when customers can't decide on something, they go off to the side and discuss it in hushed tones, like it's this private matter. But whatever makes them feel comfortable; you find it funny. Foggy's different, though. He acts like you're in their little group picking out a cake for your friend. It's sweet. Once they decide on a flavor and icing type, Foggy helpfully supplies the message to write on the cake.

"Can you write happy birthday dumb-ass?"

In your time working as a cake decorator, you've heard all sorts of nicknames, but none this blunt and you can't quite bite back your laugh. "Yeah, if that's what you want."

"No, don't write that." Karen tells you, giving Foggy a disapproving look.

"What? It's Matt. He'll think it's hilarious."

"Foggy, come on."

"If you guys want, I have these giant cupcakes and you could each put your own message on it."

"No, it's fine." Karen says. "We can do the dumbass thing, but it was your idea."

"Yes! You know it's appropriate." Foggy points out.

-0-

You're sitting in a little coffee shop, relaxing when- judging by his cane and glasses- a blind man walks up to you.

"Hey, I don't want to come off as creepy, so I'll leave you alone if you want, but I just wanted to come over and talk to you. People never meet like this anymore."

"Ugh please tell me you're not one of those pretentious golden age thinkers."

He chuckles. "I'm not, it's just an observation."

"Good, you're cute. I was disappointed for a minute there." When he just flashes a smile and stands there, you lean toward him. "And no, this seat isn't taken."

He chuckles. "Thanks."

"So, are you prepared with conversation starters, because this could get awkward really fast."

"Well, that depends on how much you feel comfortable bearing to a stranger." He answers, flirty tone ever present.

You raise your brows. "Yeah, that's what I thought this was."

Before you can get up, or say anything else, He backtracks. "No, I'm sorry, that's not what I meant. Bad choice of words." the poor man looks distraught.

And that's how you met Matt. To this day you're not sure how you fell for him, maybe it was because of his awkward first meeting. All you know for sure is that you hit it off after that, and you agreed to a second date.

-0-

When you go back to work, you start on Foggy and Karen's cake and remember that you're making it for their friend, Matt. It would be so funny if it was the Matt I just met at the coffee house. You think, but discard the idea just as fast because Matt is a common name. Anyway, who would argue over the writing on a blind man's cake? Probably Foggy. You then scold yourself that the whole blind thing was probably an ignorant train of thought.