Kiss Me

One of the pros of Matt's world on fire, is that he can 'see' in the dark. Of course, it could never replace sight, because he still can't see anything. It's more of a knowledge of what's happening around him. And that's the best way he can describe what he misses about sight. Mere knowledge of something isn't the same as seeing it before you.

Before he met you, he'd lay next to whoever he was with for the night, and catalogue their features; try to paint a picture in his head. It only got him so far though. It didn't bother him too much, he had bigger things to worry about, so he moved on.

Then he met you. Your smell was the first thing that caught his attention. Light, not overwhelming, and amazing. It wasn't too perfumy or floral, you didn't smell like you bathed in lemon juice, like most perfumes come off to him. No, this was... different. Different and wonderful. It took him a moment to realize that you were talking to him.

"...I don't want to sound like an ignorant ass, but you've been standing there for a long time."

"I'm sorry, I got lost in my thoughts for a minute there." He let out a nervous laugh.

"Oh, okay." You went to walk away, but his voice stopped you.

"Wait, what were you saying? I didn't catch the first part."

"I was asking if you were crossing, and offering my help. If you wanted it."

"Oh. Thank you." He stuck out his arm for you to take.

That's how you met. Then he was his usual charming self, and you agreed to coffee. You were mortified when Matt told you about his senses and how extensive they are.

"You mean I was being an ignorant ass? Why did you even talk to me?"

Matt gave you a little smile and a peck on the temple. "Because you were cute."

"Oh shut up." You push him, but he just sways next to you on the sofa and laughs.

"I mean it, though. You didn't treat me like I was incapable or like a child. That's what drew me to you."

You thread your fingers with his, bringing his hand to your lips to press a kiss there. "I'm both lucky and appalled that basic human decency is such a luxury for you."

-0-

So, here you are a year later. Matt laying next to you in the early morning light, watching you sleep in his own way. You're lying there, peacefully beside him, your steady breaths making the flames around you flicker in his mind's eye.

Matt's always been a snuggly sleeper- it's driven past partner's up the wall- so he's glad that you enjoy the closeness. Having you fall asleep in his arms is something he'll always be grateful for.

"Matt, what's up?" You ask as you stir to wakefulness.

"Hmm? Nothing."

"Come on. Matt; I know that look. You're staring at something with your ears."

He laughs. "Is that possible?"

"For you it is."

He smiles. "I was just enjoying the moment, having you here, in my arms. We don't get these moments often enough."

You circle your arms tighter around him, resting your forehead on his chest. "I know."

Matt presses his lips into a smile before he reaches up and takes your face in his hands, tracing your features. As his hands travel your face, his expression turns to one of longing. "I wish I could see you." He murmurs as his fingers start to trace your lips.