Soulmates Part Two

Matt wakes up gasping. He feels a dull pain in his stomach like someone punched him in the gut. He sits up and listens for signs that he's not alone. Then it hits him. Someone's hurting you. He grabs his phone and calls you, but when you answer you don't say anything. All he can hear is background noise and men asking you a series of questions. Questions about him. He jumps out of bed and gets into his black uniform.

He sits on the rooftop, trying to pick up on anything that might be you. He's on the verge of panic, so afraid that he won't be able to find you. That you'll be the person he's not able to get to in time. He starts hopping rooftops through the beating you're receiving. He can't tell where you are yet, but he hopes he's getting closer so he can find you. To make matters worse, he can't seem to drown out the other cries for help that he hears. There are only two things that stop him from going after those people. His promise that you won't be feeling anymore pain through him, and the fact that you're his only priority right now. He stops and takes a few breaths, knowing he can't help you in his current state. After he's calmed himself down he focuses. He hears gasping about a mile away and a faint heartbeat. Your heartbeat.

-0-

You're lying on the ground as your attackers beat you.

"I'm going to ask this one more time. Who was the man you were talking to at the bar the other night?"

"Why does it matter to you?"

"You're his soulmate, right?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. He was just some random guy I thought was cute. He was blind for Christ's sake, what the hell could you want with him?"

One of the guys pulls the one beating you to the side. "Maybe we made a mistake. She sounds like she's telling the truth."

"She's lying. You know the women are always the hardest to break."

Just then the lights go out. You hate the dark, so it makes you even more scared. Then you hear the sound of metal hitting flesh and grunting. You feel a sharp pain in your side, but the wound doesn't belong to you. Soon after, bodies are falling to the ground and you see a man walking out of the shadows. He slips blood-soaked billy clubs into the holster on his thigh as he comes toward you. You scramble backwards.

"It's okay." He holds his hands up as he approaches you. "I'm not going to hurt you."

You stop and look him over. You recognize him, and not just as Daredevil. You can't put your finger on who it is though. Then you notice blood dripping down his side.

"Matt?"

He sighs and takes off his mask, grunting as he kneels down to your level. "Y/n. I'm so sorry." He goes to untie you but you shy away from him. "Listen, I know you're scared, and angry, and you have every right to be. Just let me untie you. Please."

He senses you relaxing and nodding so he scoots closer to untie your hands.

"Thank you." You say in a small voice.

"Are you okay?"

You look at him, glaring daggers. "What do you think?"

He drops his head. "I know you're not, but do I need to get you to a hospital?"

"No."

"Can I take you back to my place and talk to you about this?"

"Talk about what? What to say next time I get kidnapped? Or please don't go to the police? What did I ever do to deserve you?"

He stands. That hurt more than the stab wound at his side. "I'm sorry. At least let me make sure you get home safe."

"I think you need to take care of that wound on your side." You stand and hobble out of the abandoned building the men had you in.