So You Think You Can Love Me and Leave Me to Die

You're chasing down a criminal when she goes down an alley. Of course, she couldn't have picked any of the ones with a dead end, or even a gate. No, she had to pick one of the ones that go through. This fucker is fast, and you're already tired, but you refuse to give up when you've been tracking her for so long. As you follow her down the alley, you radio your partner to get to the next street and cut her off. When she gets to the end of the alley, Daredevil steps out of the shadows and grabs her arm, forcing her to the ground.

"Detective." He nods, passing her over to you once you catch up.

"You." You mumble and glance up at him.

"What's the matter detective?" He tilts his head to the side and grins.

You let out a gasp as your eyes widen. You had to double take, but you weren't mistaken. You'd know those rosy, full lips, with the perfect cupid's bow, anywhere. As if his body language wasn't a dead give away. You look down at the criminal in cuffs beneath you and let out a shaky breath before pulling her to her feet and 'reading' her her rights.

"Y/n, y/n please." Matt reaches out to touch your arm, but you pull away. He lets out a ragged breath before swallowing it down and stepping back, hands up in surrender. "Please." He murmurs. "Let me explain."

"I don't give a shit. I'm going to say this once Daredevil. I don't want to hear from you again-"

"Y/n, please."

"NO. If you contact me again, I swear to God, I will arrest your ass. Do you understand me?"

He ducks his head down. "Yes." He pauses. "I'll miss you." He murmurs.

"This was your choice." You tell him as you walk her back to the car.

Despite the unwavering strength your voice retains, Matt senses your despair. It breaks his heart, but he knows he should respect your wishes. He knows it's his fault, and he should let you go; let you cleanse yourself of him. He knows it's selfish to chase after you. Does that stop him? No.

-0-

On your way home, you resign yourself blubbering into a tub of ice cream in proper break up grievance. But of course, you can't even do that, because your idiot ex is sitting outside your door when you get back to your apartment.

"Fuck. Matt, I'm tired. I've had a long day and I can't deal with you right now. I'm going to a friend's house. If you're still here when I come home in the morning, you're coming to work with me in a pair of handcuffs.

"I understand."

You turn to catch the elevator again, but he calls your name. "What?"

"I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry."

"Okay."

-0-

When you go home to get ready, Matt's asleep in the hallway in front of your door. Your plan was to open the door and let him fall, but he wakes up when you get out your keys.

"Y/n." He stands and leans on the doorway.

You just walk in, and go to close the door.

"Y/n, would you please just listen to me?" He snaps, pushing the door open.

You raise your brows. "Matt, I'm not being unreasonable here. You have to see that."

"Fine. You wanna arrest me? Here." He holds out his wrists. "I won't resist."