Meet the Parents

You're sitting across from Matt at a diner, eating your fries when he decides to bring up an important topic.

"So we're coming up on a year now." Matt starts.

"Wow. That's crazy, isn't it?"

He nods. "It doesn't seem like we've been together that long, but at the same time I feel like I've known you forever. I don't know, does that make sense?"

"It does."

"You know, I still haven't met your family."

You should've been expecting that, but you weren't. "That's true." You state.

"Can I?"

You don't respond right away.

"What is it y/n? The few times I've hinted at it before, you brushed me off. Are you ashamed of me or something?"

"Oh Matt, no. It's not that at all. I'm more worried about you meeting my family than my family meeting you."

"Why?"

"My family is judgmental. They don't approve of our out of wedlock situation."

"Oh."

"If you still want to meet them though, we can set up a dinner or something."

He chuckles. "It's going to take more than that to dissuade me. I want to know where you came from."

"Okay, you remember that this was your idea though."

"Come on, it can't be that bad."

"I hope you're right. This will be the first time I've brought anyone home, so I have no idea how it's going to go."

He smirks. "I'm really the first?"

"Yeah, no one's pushed it before and I've never been too eager for that conversation. In case you couldn't tell."

"Well thank you for doing this; for me."

-0-

You sigh as you turn off the car. "Disclaimer: the opinions and statements made by my family in no way reflect the views of myself."

He smiles and leans in to kiss you. "I appreciate that you're doing this."

"I appreciate that you appreciate it." You get out of the car and take his hand that's not holding his walking stick. "You ready?"

"I've been ready, but you're starting to freak me out with all the disclaimers."

"I'm just not looking forward to my family asking what your intentions are. I hate that discussion, you know? I'm capable of choosing who I want to be with, for whatever reason we're together. It's none of their goddamn business."

He squeezes your hand. "It'll be okay."

"I feel like I should be telling you that."

"Come on, let's go inside." He prompts.

With that, you lead Matt to the door and knock. Your family greet's Matt with impersonal handshakes. You immediately note the contrast between this and when your family met your brother-in-law. They bombarded him with warm hugs before he even uttered a word. Off to a great start.

Matt senses your stress and runs his hand along your back.

After everyone has said hello, you take Matt's hand again and lead him to the sofa. Your mom just stares at the two of you for a minute.

"Matt? Are you blind?"

"Uh, yeah. Did y/n forget to mention that?" He chuckles.

"She did. In fact, we haven't heard much about you at all."