I Promised Myself I wouldn't Let You Complete Me

Matthew Murdock came into your life being perfect and making you fall for him. You actually met through Foggy, having been friends in high school. He insisted that you start hanging out again. No sooner had you agreed, then he was dragging you out to some shitty bar and calling Matt. Can you say third wheel anyone? Well your assumptions had been wrong. Foggy also texted a girl named Karen who showed up with Matt. The minute you saw Matt you thought he was cute, but figured he was with Karen. Wrong again. Karen sat by Foggy, and Matt came around to sit by you. That night you developed a crush on him. But that's all it was. A harmless little crush. He's sweet and cute. What's not to like? Well, you must have a knack for being wrong when it comes to Matt Murdock. This crush was not harmless, nor little.

-0-

"Jenna. I'm falling for this guy. I hate it."

"Oh yeah. He must have some nerve marching into your life and ruining your lonely." She rolls her eyes. "Come on, this'll be good for you."

"I'll take my tub of ice cream and lusting after celebrities thank you. There's a difference between solitude and being lonely. You know I hate all the drama that comes with this sort of thing."

"So you're telling me you'd rather die alone?"

"I'm not going to die alone, I have you, and Foggy, and Karen, and that mother fucker Matt. Friends are just as valuable as romantic relationships."

"Okay, but still. Why are you so opposed to this? You like him. It's not like he's bothering you when you don't."

"I just- I was happy. I was perfectly fine by myself, now I'm here and I'm all jittery and always thinking about him. I can't focus at work because I'm daydreaming about when I'll see him again. I'm screwed if I don't tell him because I'll still have these feelings. I mean, that's what I've been doing for a year now and they've only gotten stronger."

"Wait, a year? And this is the first I'm hearing of it?"

"You see each other sometimes. Knowing you, you'd 'let something slip' just to move our relationship along."

"Come on. You know that's not true."

You sigh. "I know. I know how I feel, I guess I just don't want to admit it. I'm scared that if he finds out things will be weird between us and I'll lose him as a friend."

"Yeah, that's hard. So tell me more about this guy who's cracked your code."

"I doubt it was deliberate. He's just so kind and caring; to everyone. He seems so perfect. His worst trait that I've seen is how protective he can be."

"After a year and that's his worst trait? Honey, go get him."

"That and his inability to make a relationship last longer than a few months. Foggy can attest to that. That's the other thing. Say I told him how I feel and he felt the same. We give it a go, it doesn't work out, and I'm left with a broken heart and one less friend."

She nods. "Yeah. But when was your last romantic relationship? At all. Like college, after brad broke your heart?"

"I've had relationships since then."

"Fuck buddies and one night stands don't count."

"Fine, whatever. That makes it even worse. Neither of us can keep a relationship going for more than a few months."

"You should let me meet him." She rolls her eyes at your confused/'hell no' face. "So I can gauge whether he likes you and decide if I'm going to leave this alone or not."

"I take it the default is not?"

"You know me so well."

-0-