Hunted

You wake with a horrible headache but when you go to put your hand on your head you can't. When you open your eyes to assess the situation, you can't see anything so you start using your other senses. There's something rough binding your wrists to... someone else's arm? You start pulling on the rope but you just end up pulling another person's arm back. They hiss in pain and straighten their arm as you try to get free.

Then you hear a familiar voice calling your name. He runs his hand over yours in an effort to calm you and murmurs your name again. "I'm here." He pauses. "I don't know if you can take getting knocked out again.

"Matt?"

"It's me." He squeezes your hand.

"I can't see anything."

"I know. I can feel the tie from your blindfold on the back of my head."

"Oh. You don't happen to know where we are, do you?"

"No. Do you know what happened?"

You sigh. "Men came into our apartment and brought us here. By the time I woke up they had you unconscious, and slung over their shoulder. They promised they'd hurt you if I didn't come along."

He sighs. "I'm sorry I dragged you into this. If anything like this ever happens again, just let them take me or hurt me or kill me. I don't care. I just want you safe."

"Matt you know I won't do that. Don't try to protect me, I can handle myself."

"I'd believe you in any other circumstance, but that sentence carries less weight since you're strapped to a chair."

"I hate to break it to you, but you're strapped to a chair too."

"Yeah, I'm working on it. I promise-"

"Careful. I don't think you're in a position to be making promises." A man says as he walks in.

Matt turns his head in the man's direction. "Let her go. I-"

"You're also not in a position to be making demands. In case you hadn't noticed, you're sitting there, tied to your girlfriend, unarmed."

"I know. I wasn't demanding anything. I was pleading. I know my situation, you've made your point. I don't care what you do to me, but she has nothing to do with this."

"You think this is about you? Wait, are you enhanced too?"

Matt sits there in silence, stunned.

"We'll have to look into that." The man turns to you. "So, he doesn't know about you?" The man chuckles. "Well, I won't tell him your secret." He addresses Matt. "I assume you two are lovers since I had to drag you out of her bed. I was instructed to pick her up, but you can be insurance that she'll come quietly."

You feel Matt struggling, trying to break free.

"You're only going to hurt her if you keep doing that." The man tells Matt. "You guys sit tight, I'll be right back."

You hear the door close and start trying to get your blindfold off.

"What are you doing?" Matt asks, just feeling you rubbing your head against his.

"I'm trying to get my blindfold off. There are some things I haven't told you about me."

"Yeah, I kind of got that. What the hell was he talking about? You're enhanced?"

"You're going to have to trust me. I'll explain it all later." The blindfold finally slips over your head and you're greeted to an empty room. It's a tiny cubicle made of steel, with no windows. Just a door to your left.