I Have You

Prompt: The reader (Gender neutral please) is kidnapped, and tortured (You may have descriptive scenes) by Fisks men. They want answers about the man in the mask. The 'goons' end up blinding you, and seeing you're Chinese background, send you to madam Gao. They teach you their 'business', and get you accustomed to be being blind.

You've been there awhile now, and one day, you hear a pair of foot steps, you've never heard before.

RE: So, the only way I could make sense of this was for the reader to know Matt beforehand. (Because why else would Fisk's affiliates single you out unless you had ties to him before?) Maybe the reader didn't recognize Matt's footsteps because they never paid attention to that sort of thing when they could see. Also, I tend to write race neutral because the reader could be anyone, so I just had the Russians send you to Gao because of your blindness. I made it more of a captive situation with Gao's organization teaching you about their business. I wanted to write Matt in sooner (Because that's who we're all here for, right?) So the part where you're working for Gao is pretty short. This takes place around episode 12 in my head, not counting the flashback. Anyway, I hope this is what you were looking for.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You stand, stamping folded squares of paper, containing some sort of powder, as they're passed to you. You've given up on figuring out what it is, some sort of drugs you assume. None of the other workers will speak to you, but you get the idea that they're here by choice. Your employer- if that's what you'd call her- only spit out some fortune cookie bullshit when you had the chance to ask. Something about having faith in things beyond the distractions of this world. Like that was an actual answer. The only relevant information she gave you was that these people blinded themselves. Hence your assumption that they aren't captives like you. Then again, you don't know of any 'higher purpose' that you would have blinded yourself for. Oh wait, his name is Matthew Murdock. Or, to be more precise, the Man in the Mask. That's why you're here, sightless, packaging drugs.

-0-

It goes on like this for months, stamping the drugs as they're passed to you, trying to devise a plan. Kind of difficult with a new disability- which it is. You'll have none of this politically correct nonsense now that you're the one with the 'different ability'. Having said that, you are learning to adjust to your recent blindness- not that it sucks any less. You've come to appreciate that your other senses are a lot more useful than you ever knew. And who knew using a walking stick actually has a learning curve? Braille turns out to be a pain in the ass with a few books and no instructor. Still, it helps distract you from the impending threat of self pity.

Another day of work comes and goes, listening to people milling about, the slide of powder on metal as it's measured. The crinkle of papers folding around said powder. The squish of ink and resolute stomp of the insignia, finishing off the packaging. You're packing up the last of the product for the day when you hear an unfamiliar set of boots walking through the warehouse. You know the sound of all the supervisors by now, and this isn't one of them. You listen closer, realizing those boots are familiar in some distant part of your mind. It's too vague for you to place though, so you wait. He (or she) shuffles around, almost soundless before stopping behind you.

Before you know it, Madam Gao is shouting something in mandarin and the workers stop what they're doing and surround him. You hear him pleading with them to let him help them, and it hits you. Matt, the Man in the Mask; he's here. Everything goes to shit from there. Matt slips away, there's an explosion, followed by gunfire and the sprinklers going off. Then Matt is telling one of the supervisors to get everyone out, and there's more yelling in mandarin. The only reason you don't get trampled in the evacuation is because someone grabs your arm and pulls you outside and around the corner.