So You Think You Can Stop Me and Spit in My Eye

You're a detective, and a new transfer to the 15th precinct, thanks to your best friend who just made Captain. Or you were six months ago. Your first few cases here went well, but things only continue to run smooth for people doing wrong, so of course things went to shit. Hence why you feel like a fucking rookie despite some kick ass police work.

Over the last 4 months, a rather vexing chain of events took place. It went like this: Some asshole committed a crime. You then arrested said asshole. Then Matthew Fucking Murdock took this asshole's case- and won. Repeat process until your boss calls you out on it.

In the wake of your failure, three possibilities come to mind:

Maybe you're only good at the easy cases and you're not meant for this.

Maybe Matt's just spectacular at his job.

Maybe you just have a knack for finding people in the wrong place at the wrong time or some such shit.

At first your boss- and everyone else- thought it was just one of those things. Trails go cold all the time; sometimes people are wrongfully accused. That's all part of being an officer. You have to accept it and move on. The problem is, that it's happened three consecutive times. Each time the opposite side (i.e. Matt Murdock) dug up ample alibis, or other proof of innocence. Each time, this evidence had your suspect released before you even finished the paperwork.

"This precinct doesn't have time or resources for this." Brett starts. "I don't have the time for this. We might as well rename Hell's Kitchen Gotham with the crime running rampant here. Hell, I've even got my very own vigilante being a pain in my ass. Pretty soon we're going to have a costumed villain fighting Daredevil. From what I hear, you've run into him a couple times too."

"Yeah. He tell you how to do your job too?"

Brett just shakes his head. "Yeah. But we'd be here all night if we got into that. Now, I know I can trust you, so I hate that things have been going so bad for you lately. You're still one of my best detectives though. I'd even bet you're captain material one day, if you wanted it. Which is why I'm giving you another chance with this case. I'm warning you though, if you mess this one up, I'm going to have to bring you back to smaller cases. It can't look like I'm playing favorites."

"I understand." You sigh.

"I know Nelson's a pain in my ass, and Murdock's a pain in yours, but they're honest. Nowadays it's hard to find that, so it's just as well that they keep us on our toes."

"I know, but he's such a snob."

He lets out an exhausted chuckle. "I know. Go show him what real detective work looks like then."

-0-

On your way home that night, Daredevil jumps from a fire escape and pulls you into an alley. You jam your elbow into his gut, but all he does it let out a quiet 'oof' and let go of you.

"I didn't mean to scare you."

"Well maybe you could try approaching me like a normal human being then."

He tilts his head to the side, lips quirking up in an amused grin. "What makes you think I'm normal? Is it the outfit?"

"You know what?"

He just crosses his arms and leans against the bricks behind him- that shit eating grin ever present.

"You can kiss my ass you little shit."

"That's actually why I'm here."

You raise your brows. "Oh yeah?"

"I know what you're doing for me by allowing me to do what I do. I don't thank people enough for what they risk for me."