Chapter 28: Runaway Captive

After the book burn, I drove straight home to shower up all the soot and ash right off. Despite Casey begging and pleading for me to follow her to a party. I just wasn't ready for all that just yet. It wasn't because of what Tyler did; it was because parties just reminded me too much of the bad boy I was trying to forget and it was going to take time, but I knew a party was soon on my list.

I crawled into my bed that was right across from a snoring Nate and his. After packing the last of my things I was exhausted. I didn't want to move but Nate insisted. With some of Tyler's goons still out and about Nate insisted. I told him he had nothing to worry about because most of them were with Tyler because the pay was too good. Now with Tyler in prison and all the money under his name frozen they scattered, ready to be loyal to the next pay check. But Nate being Nate he bought a new house in the other side of the city. It was still by the beach and on the side of the mountain, over looking the ocean. The only difference was that the new house was equipped with so much security systems, even the president  would say it was too much.

He did decide to keep the old house though, something about making a killing in rent.

"Why are you still up", Nate said groggily.

"Sleep isn't really my thing, remember."

"You take your medication?"

"Always."

"Then it should be licking in soon, so go to sleep", he ordered. I rolled my eyes and he went back to sleep. With his snoring, I needed the medication.

I laid in my bed for a few hours just tossing and turning, but eventually I dozed off, only to be awaken shortly after by a rowdy Nate.

"Rise and shine", Nate exclaimed as he grabbed the last of the boxes from the room.

"When did you become a morning person", I said rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"It easy to be a morning person when you actually get sleep", he teased. I playfully threw my pillow at him and got out of bed. After breakfast, Nate and I loaded the last of our things into the truck and just like that we left the house.

"Did I tell you Becca already found someone to rent the house to. She did a background check and everything. Dude clears out."

"Dude? A guy is gonna live there all alone. That house is pretty big."

"Why not? I did it for a while."

"Yeah and then you picked me up."

"But that was different. You needed me and I needed you."

"Exactly. The single life is fun until you get lonely and you begin to miss having someone else to argue with."

"Is arguing the first thing that comes to mind Nicole?" I rolled my eyes at him which prompted a hair tussle from him. I smacked his hand away then fixed my hair.

The rest of the drive to the new house, we sat in silince. Well not so much silence, more like Nate taking into his phone about the Dacotta Deal, whatever that was, while I fiddled with my phone, switching in between apps every now and then.

I was in the midsts of beating my floppy bird high  score when my phone buzzed and my bird hit the pipe.

"Mother f*cker", I exclaimed causing Nate to jump at the wheel.

"Jesus Nicole, what the he'll was that all about", he protested.

"A stupid text caused me to miss out on beating my high score. My floppy bird will never flap again", I pouted.

"So, who is the cause of your floppy bird misfortune?"

"I don't know, I haven't checked it. I ignored the stupid thing."