Chapter 22: Keep Him Safe

"How long are you gonna keep me in here", I said banging on the steel door. Just then the door opened up and I was greeted by the sight of a crying Dylan.

"I know it's been three days and you seemed lonely, so I brought you a friend", Tyler said standing just outside the door.

"You're sick Tyler. Taking him from his family is beyond low", I said grabbing Dylan and cradling him in my arms trying to sooth him.

"Hey at least you won't be trapped here alone plus it fuels Ryder's hate fire. If he's unhappy then I'm ecstatic."

"I hope he does kill you", I snapped putting Dylan down on the bed while keeping my eyesight on Tyler.

"One more thing", he said slapping me with full force, "remember who's team you're on."

"Hurt me all you want. I'll always be cheering for you to fail", I said cupping my cheek that still stung. Three days I've put up with this; every time I talked back or rejected his advances I got a slap to the face. I didn't know how much longer I could go on. I looked over at Dylan, who was tired from crying and rubbing his eyes, well know I have a reason to go on. Even if I did't make it out, Dylan had to.

"Nicky, what am I doing here? Was it because I was bad? If that's it then I'm sowy. Pwease take me home", he asked so sweetly and innocently.

"I'll take you home sweetie. We just have to wait for daddy to come first", I said sitting down by him. He immediatly perked up and smiled at me.

"Daddy is coming! Yay! When", he said a lot happier.

"Soon baby, soon", I said picking him up and sitting him down between me legs, "we just have to wait for him to come back. For now get some sleep", I said kissing the top of his head.

"Okay, but when daddy gets here wake me up", he said crawling to the pillow.

"I will. Now sleep", I said tussling his hair. He gave me a half smile that reminded me a lot of Ryder's classic smirk and dozed off. I got up and opened my door. For some reason Tyler forgot to lock the door. I tiptoed out closing the door behind me. I crept around, trying to find an exit. I followed the noise of a TV and found Tyler's office and there I saw a familiar figure standing there. Clearly pissed and anxious.

"Ryder", I whispered automatically feeling joy and relief from seeing him here. I shoved the door open loud enough to make him look. He looked just as relieved to see me as I was to see him. He quickly pulled me to an embrace which I happily accepted. The aroma of his cologne mixed with his favorite whisky automatically filled my nose. Oh how I missed him. Everything about him. I didn't realize I was crying until Ryder pulled away only to wiped the tears from me face with his thumb.

"Nicole, I'm am so sorry it's my fault you and Dylan are in danger."

"No it's fine, we're fine."

"You are not fine and neither is Dylan. Has Tyler hurt you or Dylan?"

"No Dylan is fine, I've managed to keep him upbeat", I said looking down hoping he wouldn't ask about me.

"And what about you", he said lifting my chin so he could look right into my eyes.

"I'm fine."

"Liar", he said automatically filled with anger, "now I'm really gonna kill him."

"You're gonna have to be patient Ryder, my friend", Tyler said walking in with his two guards in toe, "You two, take Nicole back to her room, we wouldn't want Dylan to wake up alone, or do we?"

"She's leaving with me and so is Dylan", Ryder said grabbing my wrist.

"What are you going to do if she stays", Tyler asked crossing his arms and his two body guards walked up and stood behind him daring Ryder to make a move.

"I'll call the cops and bust you're little business", Ryder said pulling out his phone.

"If I go down, you go down with me and trust me, with your rap sheet you're gonna go away for a long time. Then what will Dylan and Nicole do? Move on most likely and by the time you're let out, they'll hardly remember you."

"Ryder don't call. I'll be fine and so will Dylan", I said removing his hand away from me and walking over to the guards.

"Keep Dylan safe", Ryder said as I left the room, I looked back and nodded.

"See you tonight Ryder. It's me and you in the ring. Hope you have a will written out because you should know I'm not gonna let you live this time", Tyler said following me out and closing the door.

"Come on Nicole lets go visit my room", Tyler said grabbing my waist.

"F*ck off", I said walking off to my room.

"One day, and it's going to be sooner than later", he said walking in the other direction. I rolled my eyes and opened the door where Dylan was still sleeping. I lied down beside him, needing a nap as well.

As I lay there caressing Dylan's hair, I kept thinking: with Tyler now being unpredictable I had to keep a close eye on him and keep Dylan safe even if that meant risking my own life. I didn't know how any of this was going to turn out, but what I did know is that one of us was going to make it out of here alive and I was going to do anything I could to make sure it was Dylan. As I dozed off I kept hearing Ryder repeat the words, "keep Dylan safe, keep Dylan safe."

"I will", I whispered as I finally closed my eyes and slept.

---------------------------------

"There was nothing we could do, I'm sorry Dylan is gone", a doctor said to Ryder. I saw him break down in tears and then look over at me. His sorrow turned to rage as he came up to me.

"I told you to keep him safe", he said grabbing my shoulders, "why Nicole, why? He didn't deserve this, I told you to keep him safe and you left him."

"No I didn't. I swear", I practically yelled with tears in my eyes.

"You let him die and now you're going to have to live with it for the rest of your life. You let my son die and I hate you. I never wanna see you again", Ryder said. Even though he wasn't moving physically he seemed to be backing away into darkness.

"No Ryder don't leave me", I said falling to my knees, "Don't. Leave. Me"