Chapter 18: Let's Play House

Before our conversation could progress I heard a knock at the door. I went to go answer it, but Ryder followed insisting I ignore it. I ignored him and opened to the door.

"I've come to claim my son", Martha said taking a puff of her cigarette and blowing it into my face while holding a clearly upset Dylan by the wrist.

"Um sure", I said coughing away the fumes.

"Okay well hurry and get him. My sister just dropped off Dylan and I can't handle the kid. Oh and some guy called for Ryder, something about building F."

"I'll go get him. Would you like to come in", I said opening the door up allowing her inside.

"She doesn't need to come in", he said clearly upset at her presence.

"Duty calls princess", he said as he walked out the door. As the three walked off I could hear Ryder telling his mom that she had to take care of Dylan while he took care of the Building F situation. She blew up on him, yelling that the kid wasn't her responsibility and began insulting Dylan. I couldn't take it anymore. As soon as I saw the first tear fall from the kids face I ran out to stop it.

"I could take care of him", I said running up to the fighting pair.

"Perfect", Martha said handing me his backpack and walking away.

"You don't have to do this", Ryder said clearly embarrassed because of what I had witnessed.

"I know, but Dylan is my little buddy. Plus I haven't seem him forever", I said giving Dylan's hair a tussle stopping the tears and producing the cutest giggle.

"Don't worry daddy, I'll be fine", Dylan said grabbing a hold of my hand.

"Yeah don't worry daddy he'll be fine", I said pinching Ryder's cheek which clearly ticked him off. He gave Dylan a hug and then passed him into my arms and I went inside with Dylan.

"Wow you're house is big, Nicky", he said as I set him down.

"Nicky?"

"Yeah, your name is to long for me so I came up with Nicky", he said running his car along the wall.

"So what do you wanna do", I asked.

"I dunno, daddy and I just watch tv until it's time for bed." Usually I'm all in for tv but since Dylan is only five I needed to educate this kid somehow.

"How about you count to twenty and I'll hide, then come find me", I told him and he was happy to participate. Well after I showed him how to count to twenty. I decided to go easy on him, so I hid behind the couch and when he found me he crowned himself the King of Hide and Seek.

"Okay now you hide and I'll find you", I said giving him a little tickle.

"Okay, but you'll never find me", he teased running off, "and no peeking", he yelled out of sight. I shut my eyes and began to count,
"1,2,3,4,5,16,17,18,19,20...ready or not here I come", I said running off in the direction I last saw him.

Where could he be? Well he's not downstairs, so time to check upstairs in the rooms. I ran upstairs, but I found no clue as to where he could be. I had to admit, Dylan was a good player, like father like son.

Eventually I gave up and yelled out my defeat and he popped out from the bathroom closet.

"Told you I'm the king", he said posing like superman, with his hands balled up in fists resting on his hips.

"Yes, yes all hail the king. Would the king like to eat?" He nodded in delight and we both walked down to the kitchen. After his meal I spent the rest of the day keeping him on his toes with little educational games and some outside fun to tire him out. By the time Ryder came for him he was already yawning and had droopy eyes.

"Stay here Dylan, I'm gonna open the door for daddy", I said leaving the sleepy child on the couch.

"Hey princess, miss me", he said pushing me and the door aside and letting himself in.

"No, but Dylan did", I said trying not to stare. Last time I saw Ryder he left with a perfect complexion, but now he had a black eye and some dried blood on his face. Seriously what is this guy doing that leaves him so beat up.

"Before you wake Dylan up, I suggest you go clean up so you don't scare the poor kid. I finally got him to sleep and I don't want you waking him up or scaring him and giving him nightmares," I said stopping Ryder in his tracks.

"You act as if your his mom and since I'm technically the dad we can get together and play house and make 'another' baby."

"Yeah, that's not happening. Now go clean up."

"Not tonight, but one day it will. I like to remain optimistic."

"Must I repeat myself every time: You are such a pig", so I take it bad boy Ryder is back and softy Daddy Ryder is gone, great just great. As Ryder went upstairs I went to pick up Dylan and that's when I was reminded Dylan is pretty big for his age, adorable, but still pretty tall and heavy. I'm not strong enough to carry this sleeping child. Well that's what I thought until I actually picked him up, surprisingly light. As I rocked the waking Dylan back to sleep it began to hit me. I'm playing house with the bad boy and I'm wishing this was reality. Why can't I get it through my thick head that nothing more can happen with Ryder? I ended, whatever we had, it was over and that was my choice to make so I can't be doing things like this.

"Thanks again", Ryder said taking Dylan from me. I almost wanted to take Dylan back, but I could only handle a rambunctious toddler for so long.

"Uh yeah no problem", I said trying to avoid the touchy feely part of all this.

"Oh before I go, I uh, well, I know you don't like me very much-"

"Actually I despise you. Dylan is the only positive thing that comes out of knowing you, but go on", I quickly added.

"You know I'm not all that bad. As I was saying, I do wanna pay you back for what you did, so let me take you out." What? Am I hearing things right? Ryder, bad boy, player Ryder just asked me out. What the f*ck?

"Can't. I have a boyfriend, remember?"

"Yeah I do, I also remember seeing those bruises on your arm that he left you."

"Nicole you should say yes. Ryder does a really good impression of Mickie mouse", Dylan said still groggy from his nap.

"Oh he does", I said looking at Ryder who was rather embarrassed.

"You can't turn me down in front of my kid...can you?"

"I'm still leaning towards 'no', but I will think about it."

"Just say yes and I'll show you a good time", he said rather cocky. I finally nodded my head and agreed. He gave me a big cheesy smile that made me blush so I practically pushed him out. I waited by the door waving good bye as the car drove off then shutting it. My mind was still wrapped around the idea of Ryder asking me out. I wanted so badly to ask why, but he had somewhere to go. Then I thought about it, he always had somewhere go. What if we actually became a thing, he would always be leaving and knowing that I'm not one to just sit around and wait I knew this would all end badly. The thought of it made the butterflies in my stomach turn into an empty shell of fear. God, why does this always happen to me.

Just one questioned remained: How was I going to cancel?