Chapter 23: At All Costs

I woke up practically screaming and covered in sweat. My hair was stuck to me like if I were made of glue and the top half of my dress was drenched. I almost puked at the feeling of every bit of loose hair and clothing clinging on to me for dear life. I got up practically jumping out of bed. Was the sweat caused by nightmares or by the intensive heat in this room? Out of every room, Tyler had to stick me in the one with no ac and a shut window. I was tempted to strip down to my undergarments to find some relief but I realized I had company. Dylan was sitting in the corner sweating half his body weight off. I quickly banged on the door hoping for a response, thankfully I got one.

"Morning beautiful", Tyler said standing by the doorway.

"Look it's fine if you want to torture me, but don't take it out on the kid. Please."

"What do you want", he asked annoyed.

"Fresh air and water, not for me, for Dylan", I practically begged.

"Fine, but you two need a chaperon and lucky for you I just volunteered."

"Is that it", I said crossing my arms in annoyance.

"One more thing, I want a kiss from you and not just a simple peck. Kiss me like you mean it." I immediately agreed and nodded, one kiss wouldn't hurt, but before I could make my move he backed away.

"Not here, not now. I'll tell you when. For now let's go outside for some fresh air." I nodded and went to pick up Dylan. Tyler led me through a maze if hallways eventually leading to the outside. The temperature couldn't be no more than 68 degrees which was perfect to cool both me and Dylan off. The fresh air seemed to do the trick, Dylan was up and running like any other toddler, without a care in the world. After an hour of running around, then resting in the shade, then running, then back to resting he tired out. Tyler kept his end of the deal and brought water that Dylan and I happily chugged down. It was like heaven in a bottle. Sadly it had to end and we were both forced back inside. Instead of taking the old route back, Tyler led us to a totally different side of building F. It had a nice room with AC and a bed with a TV.

"I decided not to let you suffer so much", Tyler said pushing Dylan and I in and slamming the door behind us, "Enjoy my personal suite, most girls do. Oh and don't forget about our deal beautiful. You still owe me a kiss", he said as he locked the door. How could I forget?

The only upside to my deal was Dylan's overjoyed face when he saw we were in a real room. Still too young to understand reality, I thought to myself, good keep it that way, the rest of the day consisted of the same routine: a small meal for the whole day, which I happily gave mine to Dylan and the hourly breaks from our imprisonment.

It had been three days and I needed out, we needed out. I watched over Dylan as he ran around basking in the sunlight. I don't know how long I can keep adding conditions to our deal until Tyler demands his end of the bargain and then some.

"Stop worrying as long as you keep Dylan safe, you promised...remember", my consciou reminded me.

That's right keep Dylan safe, keep that promise because if you fail to keep it, you'll lose the two people who actually make you feel something other than guilt or sorrow.

Face it Nicole Smith, you're in love with Ryder and you love Dylan just like a son, the little voice said, which I now call the monster/angel... depending on the situation. I know it's cliché, but I can't fall in love it just hurts in the end. I won't say/admit I'm in love.

At least not aloud, the angel whispered. I'm getting really tired of the angel, it's beginning to sound more like the monster than the angel. Before I could get lost in my thoughts once again there was a knock at the door, which always meant something bad was going to happen.