Chapter 9: An Unexpected Encounter

My stupid day at school haunted my mind and to try to escape I decided to go out to the strip mall. Staying home was not an option since Nate was still there with his playmate of the day or week or however long he lasted with them. I swear it was like living with another Ryder except this one loved me. I didn't want to bother Nate so I just got dressed in some warm clothes and my boots and decided to walk. I walked about three blocks when I began to regret wearing my boots, I could already feels some blisters forming. Should've just gone to track practice, I would've had the same results.

I deiced to bear through the pain with the intent of getting to the strip and meeting Casey, who could drive me back home. After a few more blocks I reached the strip mall, it looked like Vegas, with restaurant lights everywhere and a few blocks down you could see the pier. It was amazing. Definitely worth the walk. I walked by myself for a couple of hours care free, not noticing the street signs or my phone. I found Casey but she was with Tristan, feeling like a third wheel I decided to walks round when they suggested we go see a movie. I told them to have fun and went in my own direction.

I walked down the strip noticing every little detail. It felt like a whole new world, like I was a kid in a candy shop. I went into a few stores, but didn't really buy anything except for a small necklace, some young lady talked me into buying. I kept heading in the same direction when I bumped into a familiar yet annoying face.

"Can't get enough of me, right princess", Ryder said turning around. I rolled my eyes and turned back in the direction of the movie theater not wanting any trouble tonight. When I tried to turn back to the direction I came from, there were no recognizable stores. I decided to keep walking forward in hopes of finding something or someone I'd recognize.

The farther I walked the more unknown everything became. I quickened my pace hoping to suddenly be transported back with Casey. I was too distracted by the negative thoughts going on in my head to notice anything else. By the time I felt my phone ringing I had also realized I had strayed from the lights and the crowd. It seemed like a whole new dark world. A dim street light on every other block. Various car alarms going off from different directions followed by police sirens.

"I have a feeling your not in Kansas anymore sweetheart", a fairly creepy homeless man said. I kept my head down ignoring his comments as I walked passed him. Why couldn't be a nice homeless man who offers good advice and send you in the right direction like in some kind of Disney fairytale, but no I had to be in Gotham. Where's Batman when you need him? Before I could make a decision of which direction to go a hand grabbed my forearm and pulled me into a dark alley.

"Don't scream, its just me princess", Ryder said keeping his hand over my mouth.

"Get you hand off me", I said pushing him away. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

"Me? What the hell are you doing here? This isn't a place for good girls like you", he said while being vigilant.

"I'm clearly lost, but you seem to be here for a reason. And what the hell do you keep looking at", I said trying to spot whatever he was looking for.

"Nothing, now let's get you out of here", he said putting his hand on my shoulders and practically pushing me in his desired direction.

"Where are you taking me, I'm pretty sure the strip is that way", I said pointing in a random direction. I just wanted to know where we were going.

"To my car, I'm driving you home. Don't fight me on this, just cooperate", he said practically begging. His tone was rather serious and worrisome so I decided to listen. We quickly got to his car. As he shut my door he kept his eyes on something else then ran to the driver's side. In no time we were speeding down the road at 90mph again, except this time there were no crude comments or actions.