Chapter 14: Can You Call This Rebound?

"Ryder infuriates me. Ugh I need to get over this crush", I said to Casey who seemed to be bored on the other line.

"It seems to me that what you have is more than crush."

"Don't remind me, I call it a crush in hopes of getting over it."

"If you really wanna get over the dude stick with Tyler. I'm pretty sure he feels terrible about last time."

"And why is that?"

"Tyler may not be boyfriend material, but trust he's good guy. Problem is he thinks with his other head, you know the one below the belt."

"Oh gosh, Casey, you know body parts are not a thing I discuss and before you question me just letting you know I have my reasons."

"Just take my advice. Gotta go, bye", she said clicking before I could even mutter a goodbye. Maybe she was right, maybe I did need Tyler, but using him up get over a guy. Would it be a round if I was trying to get over a guy I was never really with?

*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*$

"Don't think just act", I repeated to myself as I approached the school. I had made up my mind, I was done with Ryder and hopefully I meant it. I convinced myself that I was just another game piece for Ryder in his stupid game of cat and mouse and of course I was the prey. "Was" as in past tense as in no longer. I parked my car and headed straight for the entrance. I got to my locker and pulled out a note I had written. I called it my white flag I was giving up. I had no more fight left in me. I looked at it one last time and quickly slipped it into Ryder's locker. Even though the ketter was no longer in my posession, the words were still burned into my brain: You win and I'm done.

I thought I would regret the note almost immediately but everything seemed to be at peace. Nothing seemed to bother me and I was actually happy. I saw Tyler sitting with Casey at our usual table. They seemed to be talking about me because as soon as they saw me their conversation ended. It wasn't until 30 minutes of silence passed that Casey practically yelled at Tyler to talk to me. He nodded and Casey took it as a sign to leave so she did.

"Listen Nicole, I just wanna say I'm sor-" First time I've ever cut of a an apology with a kiss. Usually I use my mouth to cuss someone out and tell the to shove that apology up theirs, but Tyler didn't mind. Though it took him a while to react, I have to admit he's a pretty good kisser. I finally pulled away when I felt his hunger growing.

"Sorry for making you wait so long for a kiss", I said.

"It's...it's okay. Definitely worth the wait", he said with a smile. Even though he was just a rebound there was a slight part of me that hoped for something more, but then I remembered he thinks with his other head. Lets see how long I could keep him before he runs off again. "Don't fall for him, you know exactly how this will turn out", my conscience reminded me. I didn't ask Tyler to walk me to class, but he was more than happy to. Something about his walk seemed different like he was proud to finally be with me. It gave him like extra power or courage because he passed by Ryder and greeted him like they were pals. It made me feel like I was prize everyone wanted. I really hope that wasn't the case because then that would just make me part of another competition or game and Lord knows I'm done and fed up with those.

"See you later", he said when we arrived to my class. I nodded with a smile and gave him a quick peck that soon turned into a sloppy kiss that I did not enjoy one bit. I pulled away when I got the chance and entered the class. Even though there was no one there not even the teacher I took my seat. I prefered and empty class to another sloppy kiss with Tyler. I pick the one guy that doesn't know when to stop. Upon arriving at my seat I was glad to not see an emtpty desk because there was no desk, ot was gone. Maybe the janitor pawned, who cares, it was gone. I sat down and began counting minutes. Man this bell is taking forever to ring. I put my head down to rest, which means I dozed off, but was awakened by a large slam on my desk. I quickly shot up expecting it to be the teacher, but no it had to Ryder.