Chapter 21: Filler P.O.V. (Ryder)

As I carried a sleeping Dylan to my car I began to think how good Nicole was with him. Dylan wasn't one to just open up and accept anyone in fact he was really cautious and timid. He usually hated all the girls I brought to meet him. I quickly put Dylan in his booster seat and buckled him in, trying not to wake him. It was a long car ride from here to my aunt's house. I still can't believe Martha signed custody over to her sister.

He was doing just fine with me and it's not like she was having a tough time raising him. I practically raised Dylan ever since he was born while Martha partied her life away each night. I was only 13 when I was forced to grow up and finding a job wasn't that easy.

I found my calling, aka fight clubs, one day I while looking for a job, I was being mugged, well they tried to. Those guys just chose a wrong day to mess with me. With a hungry baby at home and the rent due soon, my patience was running thin. I just let my anger out on those guys and some other guy happened to be watching me. That guy was Tyler's father and he put me up against his best fighters. Sure I took a really bad beating at first but I learned and soon became the top on the list. Then one day Tyler's dad was found dead and my fingerprints were on the gun I grabbed from Tyler when he pointed at me the day before.

Tyler was mad that I was being trained and treated like blood and he wanted badly to take over the fight club so he took out his dad and framed me. After a year in jail, a year I lost, the detectives decided there wasn't enough evidence to find me guilty and I was let go. I came home to a practically OD'ed mom and my aunt packing up Dylan's things. I didn't realize how bad things have gotten since I left. I tried reasoning with my aunt not take Dylan, but it was too late. Martha had already signed him over to her and there was no way my aunt would give custody back even if Martha wanted Dylan back. She told me maybe the judge would reconsider if Martha got clean and showed signs of being a good parent, very doubtful.

She even offered to take me in as well, but I couldn't leave Martha the way she was. Knowing her it would just be a downward spiral that would ultimately end with me having to identify her body and even though she doesn't admit it, I knew loosing Dylan was a really big deal to her and loosing me would just make it all worse.

I tried to get a real job, but not many people are looking to hire an ex-convict especially one with a murder background. My life sort of just went back to fight clubs. The money was just too good to resist and since I'm pretty good, I'm almost guaranteed a win and up to 1500 bucks cash a fight.

If fighting meant I could keep Martha away from the needle and any other drug, that's fine with me. Right now her only problem is the alcohol. There has been times where she has gotten clean, but it lasts 3 months at the most. One small argument and she's back on the bottle. Sure there are times where I get really torn up, but it's worth it in the end. Plus I have Nicole there to nurse me back to health, although I wouldn't mind seeing her in a cute nurse's outfit. That would heal any wound. Come to think of it, I haven't annoyed her in a while and I have no fights scheduled for today so might as well.

When I returned from dropping Dylan off, I parked my car and headed for Nicole's house. Though everything looked perfectly fine, it didn't feel fine. The closer I got to her door, the bigger feeling of dread grew.

"Hey princess, you home", I said knocking on the door. I expected it to fly open and Nicole to be ready to kick me out or at least try then we could mess around like the couple we were.

Instead, when I knocked on the door just swung open ever so slowly. It revealed a very neat house, neater than usual. Like things were put back in their place to cover something up. Cautiously, I inspected the first floor, but found nothing wrong, so I headed upstairs. I thought Nicole was just asleep, taking a break from all the cleaning she had clearly done. As soon as I reached the top I found blood stains. I followed them to Nicole's room.