A Gentle Womanizer and an Otaku!?

The week after the event at Hanada Estate was different from the kind of life Mana was used to, despite that it was still relatively peaceful. Parents were quite nervous and worried about the girl's injury, her eye and the entire right side of her face was pretty swollen and looked funny for a couple of days after. Ninja had unnaturally amazing recovery rates compared to ordinary villagers, chakra manipulation required complete mastery of one's body which also unlocked new levels of body recovery speed, still, it hurt and Mana was ashamed to look just like she was punched in the face, ironically enough that was pretty much what happened...

Despite that unpleasant experience things went quite smoothly, she got a little closer with her parents, father told Mana the story of his own first mission to oversee a construction being finished and having to protect the object from vandals that kept trying to spray paint on it to leave their mark on the world. One couldn't really blame people like them, both young and old wanted to be remembered, to feel like their life mattered and in the world where life was thrown away casually such feelings only multiplied a hundredfold.

According to father, one day the construction workers were working on the upper floor and his team had to oversee the work being completed, unfortunately, no one noticed the nest of hornets swarming up in the trashed rotten wood that was used for the construction so within seconds the entire floor was flooding with angered hornets. The man claimed to have been stung so many times that he fell down through the unfinished floor right to the first floor and as he tried to stop his fall he cut his arm on a steel beam leaving a giant gash on his arm. He must've told the truth because father actually showed Mana the scar.

The point of that story was lost to the young genin, however. Of course there were many thoughts that Mana had about the story, perhaps father wanted that she didn't feel bad about having been marked in her first real combat encounter, maybe he just wanted her to know that his first job was even worse, maybe he wanted her to know that even the most trivial and simple assignments could go wrong and cause injuries worse than actual fighting scars? Either way, when the time for Mana's big performance on stage came her face looked pretty much alright, just a slight black mark on her cheek that could've been wiped out by make-up. The young magician wanted to look her best for the occasion after all!

Mana's Friday show went great, the hall wasn't really full or anything, out of several hundred seats in the great hall about forty were filled and for a first show, the manager was impressed. Of course, the girl had some prior experience and some people knew her already from the time she performed on cardboard boxes that must've been the reason why she attracted some people - they were just people that occasionally checked her out when her shows were free. A part of the girl felt bad for charging money for the shows, her shows started as an idea, idea that ninjutsu was not a tool of death, it was not something that defined a person but rather was defined by the person that used it.

When the young one brought this question up to the manager of the hall he just shrugged, "Don't worry, kid, money ain't the problem here. Your prices are half the price of the plays people watch here, I wasn't sure how to promote your stuff because no one did crazy things like that. That probably was why so few people checked you out the first time - they didn't know what the hell they were getting into, now that voices will spread people will start to come." The manager was named Hiro, he was a nice short and elderly fellow, his eyes were always squinted and his hair was already grey, his face was filled with wrinkles and he always wore that weird flowery orange shirt. He couldn't have been older than the late forties, maybe it was what the stress of managing all of Konoha's artistic and entertainment environment did to people.

Just to feel better Mana asked Mr. Hiro if she could let in people for free sometime, the man just waved his hand and laughed. "You're the boss of your own shows, I just own the hall you're renting so as long as the rent is paid, do whatever you want. I'm telling you though, you're gonna be big when people get used to this, don't waste the chance by giving people free stuff." Apparently, Mr. Hiro had a nasty reputation about him with the common folk, not like they hated him or anything but he had the rep of being quite the old skinflint and made money from everything he had the chance to. It wasn't the bad kind of rep, more like something people always made fun of and pointed fingers at, but then waved their hands and left the hall with a "Classic Hiro..." in their lips.