While You Were Sleeping

"Chakra? Are you sure?" Shimo mumbled out in a confused voice. This whole deal with Mana's chakra control was incredibly odd, at that moment the Yuki regretted not talking to Mana about it in more detail: what exactly happened, when exactly did she notice losing her gift etc.

"As sure as I can be, there was no way she'd have redirected my punch with human senses and agility, she even went as far as to counterattack and bring me to my knees, only someone with chakra augmentation could have done that" Meiko nodded examining her bruised fist that got wrist deep into the ripped apart soil.

"This is quite major, we may need to examine her and see if she's actually regained her chakra manipulation or if it was just a freak accident but... This puts the possibility of Mana-chan's gift returning back on the table and that's wonderful" the swordsman smiled looking at the light in the inn room.

After helping Meiko get up the duo headed towards the room. Both of them were quite confused and didn't know what to think of it. Once they entered the sight of tired and sad Kouta treating Mana's injuries he met their eyes. Mana really did look miserable from a third person's point of view, her body looked like she had just escaped captivity and endless sessions of torture, she was pale making her blunt force traumas contrast that much more horribly in comparison.

The magician's hair was messy and sticky, it probably had plenty of blood in it but washing it must've been on the lower end of the magician's priorities. She looked as close to being beaten to death as a person could have been. Kouta slipped off of the bed and rubbed his tired eyes while sitting on the floor.

"Shit, I... I can't... I'm tired, this week was crazy..." he complained as black circles, not unlike those of Mana's, appeared around the boy's eyes. No one could've blamed him. He spent the whole week healing Mana's injuries that often times came multiple times a day. His healing prowess improved daily just due to the extensive amount of repetition that the boy did saving Mana from dying from her injuries. Mana was reckless and stupid for falling to such state all the time but Kouta felt like it was his own personal responsibility to bring her back to perfect state each time and now he was paying the price.

"It's fine, rest up today, you can pick up tomorrow or in the worst case the day after, we'll move out in two days at noon. You've been pushing yourself quite a lot, give yourself some credit and rest up, if there's anything we can do, please tell us" Shimo replied placing his hand on Kouta's shoulder.

"But Mana-chan is... Still in pain..." Kouta complained.

"I'll be fine..." Mana's voice ringed in the boy's ear weakly and softly. "Pain is what we need to get used to, I'm just glad I didn't get killed, thanks for giving me a shot Meiko..." the magician tried to smile but the aching body made the girl clutch up and then fall asleep. As bad as the fatigue and the pain was it didn't seem to bother Mana's sleep for the first time in a while.

"Good, she's asleep, she could use some, this week was really horrible for her" Meiko looked at Mana's battered sleeping body with some pity in her eyes.

"And for you? I saw you suffer plenty too, for some reason you also don't look like you've slept well and plenty..." Shimo asked Meiko, the blacksmith lowered her head and closed her eyes.

"Yeah, this wasn't the best for me either. It's just that... Every time Mana got hurt it felt like it was my fault, that I failed her somehow as a teacher" Meiko scratched the back of her head making her short hair stay messed up in a goofy manner, it reminded a lot of bed hair perfectly reflecting the tired state which the blacksmith felt herself staying in.

"Don't blame yourself, what you tried to teach Mana-chan is almost impossible. People don't contend with ninja, it just never happens. The progress you two have made having that in mind is astonishing, you should pat yourself on the back, really" Shimo yawned.