Every Step Of The Way

Scott and Stiles have been my best friends since forever. We were the famous three. Always causing trouble. We have stuck up for each other through thick and thin, and when I was diagnosed with cancer last year, Scott and Stiles were right beside me holding my hand. But lately it has got a lot worse.

I lay in the uncomfortable bed that I don't think I will ever get used to. Waiting. I don't know how long I have been waiting for. My mum holds my hand and gives it a little squeeze. I turn my head and smile at her.

"Everything will be fine, sweetheart." She assures me. I nod my head, I want to believe her. But I. I just can't. The nurse finally walks in after what feels like forever and looks down at her check book.

"Miss Y/L/N?" she says, looking up at me.

"Just call me y/n." I say giving her a little smile, she smiles in return and looks at me sympathetically. I could already tell something was wrong.

"I'm so sorry, y/n." she pauses for a bit. "The cancer has become terminal." My heart dropped, but that wasn't the end. "The estimated time we think you have left is a couple days." My mum breaks down beside me, sobbing like crazy. My father stands up, he has to leave the room. He feels like he is going to pass out. My eldest brother looks mad, but moves to my mum to comfort her. One of my other brothers goes to check on my dad. My younger brother, who is only 5 walks over to me. He stands next to me.

"What does terminal mean?" I take a deep breath and pull him onto my lap.

"It means that I am not going to get better, but I will be going to a better place." My little brother nods his head.

"Will you be coming back?" my heart breaks, how can I tell my little brother that I'm going to die? I shake my head.

"No, I won't. It will make me feel a lot better so once I leave to go on my holiday you have to promise to take care of mum." He nods his head. "I have to tell Scott and Stiles." I say to my mum. She nods her head and I pull out my phone dialling Scott's number.

"Hey! y/n what's up?" he says, his voice sounding so excited.

"I'm assuming you are with Stiles?" I say, then I hear Stiles in the background saying hey. "Do you think you guys can come see me? It's boring here."

"Of course, we are leaving now." Scott says, we say our bye's and I hang up.

"Hey y/n." Scott says, kissing my forehead. Stiles does the same. My mum gets up and leaves the room. "What's happening?" Scott says, trying to start a conversation.

"The cancer is uh, terminal." I say Stiles drops his phone and Scott's eyes widen. "I only have a few days to live. This is going to be the last time you'll see me." I say, I choke on my words. I can't believe it. I'm actually going to die.

"I-I'll, I-I'll change you." Scott says, stuttering.

"Scott. It's my time." I said grabbing Scott's and Stiles' hands.

"We can't lose you y/n." Stiles says, a tear escaping his eye.

"We all have to go eventually. At least I won't be in pain anymore." Scott's eyes widen.

"You're in pain!" he grabs my hand and takes some of my pain. "This is excruciating!" he says squinting my eyes. I take my hand back.

"You get used to it." I laughed.

"I'm going to miss you so much." Stiles said, jumping on my bed and sitting with me. Scott does the same.

"I'm so glad to have you guys in my life." I say, embracing my best friends in a hug.

"I love you guys." I say kissing Scott and Stiles on the check.

"I love you too." The both say.